• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peanut and new bunny (advice needed in #6)

jemjabella

Mama Doe
If you've seen my other threads you'll know I recently (6-8 weeks ago? maybe a bit longer) adopted a bunny from a local cat rescue because I was worried that his limited diet and lack of interest in hay was going to end up causing issues. He's come on leaps and bounds since I brought him home and now loves his grass, hay and small amounts of cauliflower leaves now and again.

A female bun was left widowed at the rescue recently so after giving it a couple of weeks to ensure there was no VHD risk I've brought her home today, and decided to cut straight to the chase with the bonding.

They are currently both at opposite ends of the kitchen, having given each other an inquisitive sniff. There's been some minor grunting and thumping but no other signs of aggression. Contrary to my assumption that Peanut - who is nervous and grumpy with humans - would be difficult to bond, he seems the most inquisitive at the moment.

So far so good, I think... :D

Last edited:
Spoke too soon. Shortly after posting, Peanut started aggressively biting the bunny's face and butt, and seemed to be getting increasingly agitated, so I've separated them for now. Will try again tomorrow.

She did. I mean, she was fairly chilled about his nosiness and it looked positive but then when he started the aggressive biting she was running, thumping and he'd just chase her again. At one point he had her and looked like he wasn't going to let go, so that's why I decided to separate - I didn't want to risk breaking skin.

It did occur to me that although Peanut never comes into the kitchen he might be able to smell the utility (where he's based) from the kitchen because they're only separated by a door, so I'm going to try upstairs next time - furthest point in the house away from the utility - just in case that's causing issues.

The one thing that I also wondered / worried about was that Peanut was biting the bun and then vigorously eating hay. I did wonder if he was feeling threatened, like new bunny was going to steal his food. They had plenty of hay and nuggets in the kitchen with them but I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying with NO food?

Right - so now I really don't know what to do. Advice please!

I couldn't re-attempt the bond yesterday because I had to go and do a day's work for an agency, so left new bunny in the kitchen and Peanut in the utility/cat run where he lives.

Got home, can't find new bunny (I will name her soon!) PANIC PANIC PANIC. There is literally nowhere to hide in the kitchen, where on earth is she? Cat appears through the cat flap... oh. New bun has only gone and let herself out through the cat flap INTO the utility. Nothing I'd left for her in the kitchen had been eaten so I'm guessing she had done it fairly early on.

So now Peanut and bun are together. And I don't know whether to separate them again or not. On one hand, I don't really feel like there is a bond here. Peanut still keeps fur pulling and chasing every now and again. On the other hand they seem happy to sit two feet from each other just doing their own thing.

When I bonded my first pair after the initial chasing and nipping they were best buddies, so I feel like there should be more here to make this a success. Any thoughts?

I would definitely keep them together now and hopefully in a few days time things should be settling down. Good luck!

Thanks tonibun :) I'm at home today so have left them to it today, checking on them every half hour or so, and they seem to be cohabiting fairly peacefully even though there's no "cuddling" or bonding behaviour (that I would expect to see) so I'm staying wary!

Hi there! There won't be any cuddling yet, they need time to feel comfortable with one another. It will take about a week.

Thanks again tonibun - appreciate your input and reassurance.

Everything seemed OK this morning. Mostly just ignoring each other. I can cope with that. :lol: Now just to find the bun a name.

Just wanted to quickly update to say that both are now living happily together completely ignoring each other. No more nipping or fur pulling.

Hoping we eventually get to friendship but I'll settle for blissful ignorance for now.

(And she's now called Sagittarius A* thanks to my husband, after the supermassive black hole in the centre of our galaxy. Because she's a black rabbit, obviously.)

Back