• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Attacks 2 Problems

Nina_Sunset

Young Bun
I got my first rabbit in the end of December and/or beginning of January. She's a Holland Lop and she just turned six months old. When she was about 4 months, she attacked my hand for the first time in the cage, but I didn't pull away from her. She charged at my hand and kinda slammed her front paws on my hand with a nip. To this day she does it and if I don't move my hand she'll go on her hind legs and claw viciously, run away, charge, nip and claw all over again. I don't move my hand away because I don't want her thinking that if she attacks she'll get us to leave... she hasn't gotten the concept in 2 months. In fact, I think/sure/it got worse.
She also use to love sniffing my dog and follow her (the rabbit being on the couch and my 45lb dog walking on the floor by the couch). Milly, my rabbit, didn't mind at first when Stella, my dog, would sniff her butt like how dogs greet each other. I got my dog to stop doing that, but when she lays down by Milly, Milly would run to Stella's head, wait for Stella to sniff her. When Stella sniffs her, Milly would go on her hind legs and claw/box Stella's head. For the life of me, I can't find any way to stop this aggressive rabbit behavior. I know spaying would help a lot (haven't done it yet, I'm saving up) but I need other tips on how to stop this behavior. Anything would be appreciated, thank you

(This doesn't usually happen outside of her cage)

Last edited:
It sounds like she is perhaps showing some cage aggression? I am imagining when you say cage you mean a generic indoor rabbit cage? Is she in the cage for long lengths of time? I.e overnight or whilst you are out? If so it may be an idea to get an indoor pen to attach to the cage to extend her living space, as small spaces can lead to frustration.

Is she neutered? Often hormones play a huge part in these types of behaviours as well. I can't fully explain the behaviour for you but these things may be playing a part.

Yes, she has an indoor cage in my room(kinda like a wire dog crate/kennel). It's a 30in by 36in giving her more than enough space to run around it. She is usually in there while I'm at school or out of the house with my parents and at night. During the day, if I'm home, I'll let her loose in the house or on my bed. I can't let her on the floor in my room because I just got a new bed set and I'm still cleaning.
I plan on getting her spayed at the end of July when I get my "paycheck" for doing a summer program.

I hate to point this out, but her cage is far too small to be shut in.
Rabbits need a 6ft x 2ft hutch with access to a 6ft x 8ft run. She needs to have more space in order to exercise properly, the space you have described is probably just big enough for her to lay down in but not stretch out comfortably without touching anything else in the cage.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have to agree with the above. Rabbits need a lot more space than that, the usually indoor cages that are sold just don't provide enough space, I would say both the small amount of space and the fact she isn't spayed yet are both probably big factors in the behaviours you are seeing.

Actually her cage is rather large for her. She's a dwarf rabbit, holland lop. The cage is 2.5 ft by 3 ft. I read that if you have limited space in your room, just as long as your rabbit can take 3 hops across and stretch on her hind legs with out hitting the roof of the cage it's good for them. My rabbit takes at least 4 hops across the cage and has an inch or two left above her head when she stands on her hind legs. I do understand that rabbits need a lot of play time/exercise and I do give her an hour or two when I have the chance, that she enjoys very much so I try to do get her out as much as possible.
Also, I am 4'11 1/2'' and thin. After I got the cage set up, I laid in it, so if I could fit in it with the top closed, I knew my bunny had enough space to fit too. I have her litter box in a corner with a hay rack, her food bowl in another corner, her willow tunnel, a hanging water bottle, and several toys to play with. She will lay down against a wall in her cage with her legs stretched out and won't be touching anything. She has enough room to run and jump when she choose and she does when I'm trying to sleep, but other than that she has a pretty big cage for a dwarf rabbit. As said before, I do give her exercise time when I can, as much as I can.

Actually her cage is rather large for her. She's a dwarf rabbit, holland lop. The cage is 2.5 ft by 3 ft. I read that if you have limited space in your room, just as long as your rabbit can take 3 hops across and stretch on her hind legs with out hitting the roof of the cage it's good for them. My rabbit takes at least 4 hops across the cage and has an inch or two left above her head when she stands on her hind legs. I do understand that rabbits need a lot of play time/exercise and I do give her an hour or two when I have the chance, that she enjoys very much so I try to do get her out as much as possible.
Also, I am 4'11 1/2'' and thin. After I got the cage set up, I laid in it, so if I could fit in it with the top closed, I knew my bunny had enough space to fit too. I have her litter box in a corner with a hay rack, her food bowl in another corner, her willow tunnel, a hanging water bottle, and several toys to play with. She will lay down against a wall in her cage with her legs stretched out and won't be touching anything. She has enough room to run and jump when she choose and she does when I'm trying to sleep, but other than that she has a pretty big cage for a dwarf rabbit. As said before, I do give her exercise time when I can, as much as I can.

It sounds like you care very much for your rabbit :thumb: I'm afraid even though she is a small rabbit, she still needs a lot more space, and the aggression you describe could be due to being frustrated about being shut in. Rabbits are active at night and need a lot of space permanently available for running around in. My indoor rabbit has access at all times to a whole room, which we have made rabbit proof, perhaps you could do the same for your rabbit? If not you can use puppy pens to extend the cage space.

Here is a link to the RWAF explaining about the cage/run sizes http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

It sounds like you care very much for your rabbit :thumb: I'm afraid even though she is a small rabbit, she still needs a lot more space, and the aggression you describe could be due to being frustrated about being shut in. Rabbits are active at night and need a lot of space permanently available for running around in. My indoor rabbit has access at all times to a whole room, which we have made rabbit proof, perhaps you could do the same for your rabbit? If not you can use puppy pens to extend the cage space.

Here is a link to the RWAF explaining about the cage/run sizes http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm
I agree with Zoobec. We understand you are here because you want the best for your rabbit, and in order to improve her behaviour she will require a lot more space & neutering.

I did plan on getting her a puppy pen to extend the cage room when I first got her, but every place I found was super expensive (60-100$). I haven't been able to save that much and I think spaying her is more of a priority. I am still trying to find cheaper pens, but it's really difficult.

I did plan on getting her a puppy pen to extend the cage room when I first got her, but every place I found was super expensive (60-100$). I haven't been able to save that much and I think spaying her is more of a priority. I am still trying to find cheaper pens, but it's really difficult.

Have you tried looking on craigslist (you're in the US right?) :) I've seen puppy playpens on there for cheap. Also, we got one of ours cheap from Once Upon A Child I believe.

I feel like even if you've got the money some pet things like this are great to get secondhand!

Along with Williams suggestions, maybe you could build something with wood & chicken wire... just make sure there are no sharp edges :)

Maybe you could try nic or c and c cubes to make a run area for her, I have limited space myself and have used these to make a multi level hutch attached to a run also made of the cubes. You can get them cheaply in the US in Walmart I think. You use cable ties I think you call them zip ties to link them together. And I managed to do this on my own too, so it is very easy. You can also get some correx, it's a corrugated plastic sort of like cardboard you can use it to make an easy to clean paw friendly floor for your run or you could use a plastic coated table cloth underneath. If you would like to see some pictures of mine just let me know, there are also some great pictures online and on here too. You are doing the best you can for now so good job and you are in the right place to get some great advice on how you can improve it further ��

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll take another look on Craigslist and take a look at Once Upon a Child, too.
I have heard about the cube grid things. I was actually planning on making a two story hutch for my rabbit with my dad but I ended up buying this cage (explained above) because I was excited to get a rabbit for the first time. The store I got it from, Tractor Supply, had it on sale for ten off so it was around... 28 or 29$ I think. They were trying to sale out of it. I plan on getting another one soon enough but I might have to look around for one because they might have sold out already. So, ya, I was gonna build a 2 story and it's still in plan along with the play pen and the spaying lol

Back