• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Willow Toys (Excessive Eating?)

Hi there,
I am a new Bunny-mummy, having my boy, Ned, for a few days now. He is around 11-12 weeks old im told, and being a new Bunny-mom, I seem to be constantly worried about food, and diet, and making him comfortable.

But to the point, I bought my bunny a willow ball, from pets at home, when I got him. He was not interested in the ball at first, of course. He was getting used to his surroundings as an indoor bunny. But yesterday he chewed on it a little. And today, its been demolished. I immedietly panicked as he was straight foward chomping and eating the willow, but looked online to find this is totally normal. But, as one of the older topic pointed out (from 2008, which is why I've created a new topic) that willow contains a type of asprin? So I'm now wondering if I should be watching how much my bunny consumes, is this normal?

df04cef331d1d2274398cc838a12045c.jpg

I hope i'm just being a totally paranoid mom!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Well you're just being a good bunny mum :) The amount of willow that takes to make one of those balls isn't that much. Don't worry. Buns that like them do demolish them quickly...they aren't toys for long. Willow does contain an aspirin like substance. My bunnies eat it fresh & dried in much bigger quantities with no problems. More knowledgeable folk will be along soon to explain things better.

Welcome to RU too

PS- I wouldn't even call the ball in your photo demolished. in my bunnies vocab that would be delicately nibbled :lol:

Phew! Thank you, that is a load off my mind :) I was worried about little delicate tummies.
And thank you for the welcome, and patience with me!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum lemony :wave: My rabbits do this too, I once got them a lovely willow tunnel and was shocked at how fast it got eaten. They didn't appear to suffer any ill effects though. I didn't realise there could be an issue with it, so I'll be interested to read what others think, too x

If they haven't had them in a while, mine will eat an entire large-ish willow ball in about an hour :lol: Never caused a problem.

Willow tunnels also make a great toy for bigger rabbits if you ram them full of hay :) Willow Balls can last minutes with my pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Willow Balls can last minutes with my pair.
:lol:

That's it. I love the buns to enjoy, but my investment disappears in seconds...

Arghhh yes they are pricey and get eaten in seconds! That's why I tend to get sticks now :lol:

I'm growing it too woop

Mine love willow, most of them will demolish them in a day or so. Apart from Claudia and Desmond who just throw there's around. I ensure all mine always have something to chew which isn't too bad in summer when I have willow, hazel and apple twigs I can feed but it becomes expensive in winter

Back