• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland dwarf rabbit diet

Petrus82

New Kit
Hi everyone

I know this question will have been asked a million times before. I've researched a lot and got information from the breeder but I was looking for information here as some of the information on the Web is conflicting.

I have a 10 week netherland dwarf. I feed Burgess dwarf pellets and give around 20g a day. He has unlimited Timothy hay. The breeder suggested to feed veg twice a week.

Is 20g of pellets too much?
Is twice a week ok for the veg?
The breeder fed kale and carrot tops. What can I add for variety?

Many thanks.

ive not had a nethie so cant really advise on how much to feed, i have lops that are nearly 3kg each. Its tricky what to introduce at 10 weeks because of how sensitive their tums are. Mine dont react well to kale because i didnt feed it when they where really young. If and when you try something start with the smallest amount you can and only one thing and watch poo output really closly. I wouldnt add anything else until i was 100% certain that the bun was ok with the new food. Im sure someone will be on soon to advise you better. xx

ive not had a nethie so cant really advise on how much to feed, i have lops that are nearly 3kg each. Its tricky what to introduce at 10 weeks because of how sensitive their tums are. Mine dont react well to kale because i didnt feed it when they where really young. If and when you try something start with the smallest amount you can and only one thing and watch poo output really closly. I wouldnt add anything else until i was 100% certain that the bun was ok with the new food. Im sure someone will be on soon to advise you better. xx

Right now I'm sticking to exactly what the breeder did. Then I will introduce new things slowly.

i have had my babies from birth so they ate what the mum and dad ate so their tummy's had a sort of immunity, the mum and dad had veg everyday so the babies did but i dont know how often to give to buns that are 10 weeks and only been having it twice a week sorry.

i have had my babies from birth so they ate what the mum and dad ate so their tummy's had a sort of immunity, the mum and dad had veg everyday so the babies did but i dont know how often to give to buns that are 10 weeks and only been having it twice a week sorry.

Would it be safe to slowly introduce a third day so he would have 3 times a week?

Could anyone advise if 20g of food is too much?

I've never had bunnies below 6 months old, but I'm sure I've heard before that they should have unlimited pellets until they are about 4 months old and veg shouldn't be introduced until they are 3 months old either? I may be wrong and imagining that I've read that before, but I'm fairly sure I have read it on here before...

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Already good advice has been given. Can you ask the breeder how often the rabbit was given veg then you know where to start. If he says nnever then you must wait a couple of weeks before you start to introduce it. At the moment you can feed 20g of pellets, even more if bunny seems very hungry and when he is about 4 or 5 months old you will need to cut down a bit. I have always given the bunnies Spring Greens and am a bit cautious about other veg. Kale is high in calcium, which is ok for babies but can be a problem for older buns. Forage goes down well as does herbs. Also you can give your bunny Readigrass even now, but only small amounts. They usually love this. :thumb:

I 2 have Nethies and when they're that young I let them eat as many pellets as they want. They're just babies.

When mine were 6 months that's when I kind of cut down on the pellets. My motivating factor is that I want them spayed as soon as possible and to be spayed a reputable vet would wait until they were 6 months and weighed 1kg. Once spayed/neutered I start weighing out food.

My priority is the neutering over the weight.

As for veggies, mine get a mix of kale, water cress, rocket, spinach and broccoli as well as herbs.

Also unlimited hay and I provide 2 different varieties at all times.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone for the advice so far.

The breeder fed kale and carrot twice a week. Just a very small amount. Should I carry on with this until he is 6 months or can I slowly increase it to 3 times per week?

Mine have a supper every night, so if you want to increase to 3 times a week, you can just keep an eye for sore tummies and on the poos

Thanks. Would you recommend building up to a little fresh veg everyday? How much fresh veg would you give an adult in one portion ?

I probably do it wrong, I would build it up. Maybe try just a little rather than a full portion at first. I'm very much a believer in if your bun is happy and healthy go with it.

My two get a toddlers plastic plate, I give them a handful of kale, a handful of a spinach, water cress and rocket mix I get from aldi and some parsley even evening before bed.

I avoid fruit and carrots because it has a lot of sugar in it but I do use blueberries as a training treat and they love them.

Back