• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Theo isn't eating

Theo

Warren Scout
I'm worried about Theo as he has turned his nose up at his veg supper which he has never done before. He had pellets at around 6pm as usual and has been fairly quiet all evening. He keeps snuggling down in his hay box which he doesn't usually do.

Should I worry now or wait and see if he eats his supper over night?

Unfortunately a bunny not eating can be serious as their GI tracts are very complex and timing can be very important.

Personally I would try and see a vet tonight. Your normal vets should have details of the out of hours/ emergency vet either on their website or on their answer phone.

The most important thing for a bunny not eating to have is metacam which is a painkiller as a bunny who is in pain won't eat anything. This can be given via an injection or orally through a syringe and it is worth asking the vet for a bottle so you can administer it at home.

Gut motility agents are also important such as emerprid, metroclopimide or zantac. Again they can be given as injections or orally through a syringe and again worth asking the vet for some to take home.

You may also need to syringe feed him. Again the vet can provide you with syringe food which is a powder that you mix with warm water.

Sorry for the long post its just I have encountered emergency vets who seem as little clueless about these situations and its best to know what should be given to help bunny

I took him to the vets within 10 minutes of my post as I knew something wasn't right! He seemed a little unsteady on his feet and was trying to roll over which I have never seen him do. He's been given some metacam and has nibbled a bit of hay since being home. Fingers crossed for morning!

The emergency vet seemed knowledgable and checked him over. I think he may be a bit sore as he tried to climb out the pen earlier and had a tumble. Vet checked his reactions (think she pinched his nails on hind feet) and everything seemed ok. Hopefully he's only strained something and nothing more serious. I'd feel a bit better if he'd finish his supper!

I took him to the vets within 10 minutes of my post as I knew something wasn't right! He seemed a little unsteady on his feet and was trying to roll over which I have never seen him do. He's been given some metacam and has nibbled a bit of hay since being home. Fingers crossed for morning!

What did the vet say? Did he give him any gut motility meds?

I'm really sorry to hear about Theo .. I hope he's OK by the morning x

The emergency vet seemed knowledgable and checked him over. I think he may be a bit sore as he tried to climb out the pen earlier and had a tumble. Vet checked his reactions (think she pinched his nails on hind feet) and everything seemed ok. Hopefully he's only strained something and nothing more serious. I'd feel a bit better if he'd finish his supper!

Just cross posted with you :wave:

Glad to hear you saw a good vet, and I hope all progresses well for Theo!

Sending vibes and hope he improves.

Glad that the vetvwas knowledgeable. Unfortunately we learned the hard way that not all vets know what to do with a bunny that isn't eating so I try and pass on the info.

I hope Theo is better this morning. Glad you managed to get him to the vet quickly. It's always a worry if they do something out of character.

What did the vet say? Did he give him any gut motility meds?

I'm really sorry to hear about Theo .. I hope he's OK by the morning x

She thinks he may be a bit sore after his tumble. Didn't give him any gut motility meds, just mentioned about recovery food which I've already got just in case. Checked on him first thing this morning and he has eaten the food I left in over night :D

Sending vibes and hope he improves.

Glad that the vetvwas knowledgeable. Unfortunately we learned the hard way that not all vets know what to do with a bunny that isn't eating so I try and pass on the info.

Thanks for your quick reply last night! I was worried as I know how bad it can be when they stop eating! Luckily he has eaten every bit of veg and hay I left him with over night!

I hope Theo is better this morning. Glad you managed to get him to the vet quickly. It's always a worry if they do something out of character.

I did think I'd wait til morning until I saw his back legs slip from under him on the laminate floor and him slide over, I was very worried!

Back