• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dry, flaky skin

Alicia

Mama Doe
Joey has dry, flaky skin around his neck. There's some small white bits which I assume is dead skin in his fur, it doesn't seem to be bothering him but I'm not sure what it is and how I should treat it. He's about 8 years old and seems fine in himself

Without being able to see it it's impossible to say for certain what it might be. I could be mites and if it was it can be easily treated by a course of Ivermectin injections, one every 10-14 days for 3 doses

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

Older Rabbits may have a bit of a problem with grooming themselves and this can make them more prone to skin problems, including mites.

The best way to ascertain exactly what it is and to obtain any treatment deemed to be necessary would be to get the Vet to take a look :)

Joey has dry, flaky skin around his neck. There's some small white bits which I assume is dead skin in his fur, it doesn't seem to be bothering him but I'm not sure what it is and how I should treat it. He's about 8 years old and seems fine in himself

Hi Alicia :wave:

The dead skin you are seeing may be caused by fur mites - aka 'walking dandruff' :shock:

It can be caused by the Cheyletiella parasitovorax mite, and is treated easily by three applications or injections of Ivermectin, given two weeks apart.

Rabbits often get fur mites when they are 'run down' .. and you do have to be vigilant to make sure there's nothing else going on. But then we always have to with our buns, don't we? :)

Back