• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Now Single bunny- do I give him up?

Grasshopper

Young Bun
I lost my second bunny to cancer on New Years Day. (That's a whole post in itself...:cry:) We adopted a roughly three year old bunny 18 months ago after her first buddy died. Had we known that she was ill we would not have put her through it, the whole thing was quite traumatic for her. Still, we thought that she had another 4 good years left and she wasn't very happy on her own.
So now I'm in a quandary. We have taken on a rescue bun, and it goes against all my principles to give him up. However, I feel it would be foolhardy to take another (house) rabbit on in my current situation. He does not seem down on his own at the moment, but every bunny deserves a buddy, so would it be kinder to put him up for adoption? I would keep him until a companion rabbit could be found.
What do others think? Do you keep on having rabbits indefinitely? What is more important- keeping him in a place he knows or finding him a new home with a buddy?
I don't think he's particularly attached to us- we have a noisy toddler who can't be easy for a bun to share a flat with. Unfortunately, He's not my favourite bun after being over amarous with my ill rabbit and doing major damage to the carpets in my rented flat. Such double standards though, I wouldn't have thought twice for my original buns. I don't want to be selfish but as you can imagine, I can't see the objective view.

Last edited:
I'd rehome, or I always say I would. The bun needs a friend and it sounds as if you've had enough for the moment.

Perhaps discuss things with the rescue you adopted him from? Most have a take back clause so it's a good idea to see whether they'd help.

Thanks Tamsin and Happy Bun for not completely disapproving.
When we took the little fella on the lady I got him from said she would take him back when he ended up on his own. I kind of laughed it off at the time cos I couldn't imagine being in that scenario (wanting to give him up), so I'm hoping she remembers (she rehomes for RSPCA.)
I have been putting off the call and still feel pretty guilty about the idea. Still, a chat would not commit me to anything...

Back