• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits chasing after bringing another rabbit into the house!!

NewBunnyFan

Warren Scout
Hi, I need some advice again!!!!!

As I said in a previous thread I have rescued a mini lop who was being kept in a small cage and he is now living in the conservatory. We have been trying to be extra careful with washing hands and keeping the door closed so Leo and Saxon don't smell him, we've blocked off Windows so they can't see each other, I'm even taking Larry's dirty hay around the house so not to bring it through where Leo and Saxon are.
The problem is that Leo has started to chase Saxon, it happened a little on Thursday (the day after we bought Larry home) Friday they were ok but last night and this morning Leo is chasing Saxon again. He's not hurting him (fingers crossed he doesn't) but Saxon is petrified and as soon as Leo comes near him he's running away. They spent yesterday sleeping next to each other and I've not heard anything through the night, Leo has just given Saxon a little lick on the nose and Saxon is trying his hardest to be around Leo but as soon as Leo moves Saxon runs and Leo chases.

I'm really worried I've done the wrong thing bringing Larry home and I just want to cry cause I'm worried I'm I have spoilt the bond between my boys who were really close before. I feel awful, I just wanted to help a poor bunny who was not living a very good life!!! I never knew anything about referred aggression!!

Please tell me there is something I can do!! Sorry for the ramble I'm just really worried!!

I assume both your boys are neutered? I have no advice really except to say keep them as far away from the new rabbit as possible. They may get used to having the other rabbit there, they might not. It isn't a good situation if it keeps happening and you might have to think about rehoming the new bunny.

Hi. Thanks for the reply, yes both of mine are neutered. I think I thought they would be far enough away from each other for it not to be a problem but obviously I was wrong!!!
Does anyone else feel they always make made decisions??!?!

I totally understand this as I have a similar situation. My bonded pair were fine when they were indoors after they bonded, but when i moved them outside where my other rabbit also lives, my female chased my male. I have to bring them inside to eat sometimes because my female will chase my male so much when outside, which I am convinced is because they know there is another rabbit out there. Even though they never see each other I think they just know there is another rabbit relatively close by. Could you move Larry outside to further the distance between them all?

I have got a hutch outside but am worried it's to cold to move him out there as he's always been inside. Leo and Saxon are now sleeping on separate places which they don't normally do so now I'm even more worried I've ruined their bond!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the new bunny indoors before you got him? I would chance him with lots of straw and hay and covered at night/from bad weather. Is he a baby? Yeah we all make bad decisions :lol:

It might be worth a try putting him outside - the weather isn't meant to be too cold in the UK for the next week, so like tonibun said, make sure he has plenty of straw and protection from wind or rain and see how he gets on. Hopefully your other two might settle down a bit. Although you've been very careful already I think it's a big coincidence that your bonded pairs behaviour changed the day after a new bun was brought into the house, so it might be best to take him out of the house for a bit and see if that helps :)

I agree with trying him outside. The weather isn't so bad, and I'd move him in the morning so he has a relatively warm day to prepare for the change as it gets later. Lots of straw & hay, insulation from the wind/rain and put into a place of the garden that would have the most sun during the day.

I think your other boys can sense another rabbit within the house somewhere & will still be able to smell the bunny. (The conservatory will not be draft proof & will allow some smells into the house which we wouldn't be able to pick up on).

You could try giving your boys a new toy that they can interactive together with.

Back