• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weeping eye: u/d massive ulcer under eye

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Lopsy has a weepy eye. Dunno if Aboleth is cleaning it or not, but she does clean his face so I expect she's having a go around it if not actually over the eye. He's fine in himself, the eye itself looks and acts fine, he just has wet fur underneath. No discolouration at all. He's had no change to his environment, so it could be a bit of hay, fur etc., hopefully not something more sinister. He's eating fine, acting fine (normal for Lopsy...) etc. :)

I noticed it at 14:00 yesterday, and no change this morning at 08:00. I'm going to ring the vets in a bit for a non-emergency appointment (probably Friday morning as that's convenient for me to manhandle them) and advice. Do you think I should be cleaning it up with cool boiled water? It did seem quite sticky around the underside this morning. Is Friday too long to wait? I don't really want to stress them out going if I don't have to, but I don't want it to get any worse: he's not the most co-operative of rabbits with cleaning either!

Maybe Aboleth has done something in a fit of two-eye jealousy ;P :lol:

Last edited:
Lopsy has a weepy eye. Dunno if Aboleth is cleaning it or not, but she does clean his face so I expect she's having a go around it if not actually over the eye. He's fine in himself, the eye itself looks and acts fine, he just has wet fur underneath. No discolouration at all. He's had no change to his environment, so it could be a bit of hay, fur etc., hopefully not something more sinister. He's eating fine, acting fine (normal for Lopsy...) etc. :)

I noticed it at 14:00 yesterday, and no change this morning at 08:00. I'm going to ring the vets in a bit for a non-emergency appointment (probably Friday morning as that's convenient for me to manhandle them) and advice. Do you think I should be cleaning it up with cool boiled water? It did seem quite sticky around the underside this morning. Is Friday too long to wait? I don't really want to stress them out going if I don't have to, but I don't want it to get any worse: he's not the most co-operative of rabbits with cleaning either!

Personally I would not leave it til Friday. The Vet will need to check for any corneal abrasions which may not be visible without the use of some fluorescein dye. Also, sometimes a weepy eye can be related to Dental problems, so that needs to be considered too.

You say the eye itself looks fine, no ulcers or abrasions? Many weepy eyes are associated with dental issues - long tooth roots and all that. That's nothing that's going to be solved in the short term, though of course the tear duct could be flushed (often the cause of wet fur underneath).

Yes I would clean it 2/3 times daily with cooled boiled water. If the eye itself doesn't begin to look pink or inflamed, or develop any white patches, then I would think nothing is going to change between now and Friday. Of course if you could get an appointment in the next day or two it would be better ... :)

Hope that helps!

Thanks both :) I did think dental problems so when he wasn't eating this morning I made sure he was with basil, but he's eating fine: was munching hay a few moments ago.

It's got worse since I saw it this morning: we now have pink edges (lid edges) and a definite squint. Still no marks etc. to the eye, still eating ebverything with gusto. He was happy being cleaned (I assume he thought it was just a damp stroke!) and I gave Aboleth a 'clean' (stroked her in the same place with my other hand, coincidentally her blind side) so she didn't feel left out :love: He's still otherwise normal for Lopsy :) Will ring the vets when I get to work tomorrow and see when they can get me in.

Just wish it wasn't January: this is my research catch-up time :roll: :lol:

Thanks both :) I did think dental problems so when he wasn't eating this morning I made sure he was with basil, but he's eating fine: was munching hay a few moments ago.

It's got worse since I saw it this morning: we now have pink edges (lid edges) and a definite squint. Still no marks etc. to the eye, still eating ebverything with gusto. He was happy being cleaned (I assume he thought it was just a damp stroke!) and I gave Aboleth a 'clean' (stroked her in the same place with my other hand, coincidentally her blind side) so she didn't feel left out :love: He's still otherwise normal for Lopsy :) Will ring the vets when I get to work tomorrow and see when they can get me in.

I always feel its best to get weepy eyes seen by a Vet sooner rather than later so hopefully you'll be able to get him seen tomorrow xx

Hey you're welcome :thumb:

As it's got worse, I think you're very wise to try and get seen earlier than Friday.

But you know rabbits are never unwell at convenient times :lol: I would also try to get him seen before Friday, especially as it appears to be worse. Also I know with mine, it never seems to be a case of gradually eating less and less and then stopping completely. They go from eating greedily one minute, to nothing very soon afterwards.

Got him in for 16:40 today. I know leaving work after 15:30 for an appointment is generally OK, especially as I got in extra early today to be sure!

If I had to be very objective, I'd say his eye was a little bit worse today, so something's definitely up. He's still got it open and things, and his fur's completely sodden and 'malformed' on that side but he's bright and Lopsyish.

I suppose it'll be a nice trip out for them, might even get Aboleth more used to car journeys ;P And I'll be around home early (vets is much closer than work) so might get some more studying done, right?! :lol:

A grass seed :roll:

We've got baytril 2x daily (yay :(), metacam 1x daily, and fusidic acid eyedrops 3x daily. Follow-up on Friday. Poor kid's got a big ulcer at the bottom of his eye. He had baytril and metacam injections at the vets' so we start those tomorrow, but we start eyedrops tonight and I'm still on eye wiping duty. Going to be fun!

So that's probably £400 Lopsy's cost me (not including annual vaccinations) since we got him. Thankfully we were prepared for expense!

Thanks for the input, everyone!

ETA: aw man, having two interfering bunnies makes medicating hard! Tried to separate them using treats but that failed spectacularly. Carrier-separated Lopsy out into the gaming room and got Matt to hold him in the carrier. He's surprisingly cooperative for eyedrops! He got a crunchie for his trouble :)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Glad the vet found the cause. You'll have to source some seedless grass for him in the future :lol:

Well the eyedrops and the metacam will probably be easy enough, but rabbits don't normally like baytril much and so yes, I agree, I think it will be fun :lol:

Good luck :thumb:

We've got baytril 2x daily (yay :(), metacam 1x daily, and fusidic acid eyedrops 3x daily. Follow-up on Friday. Poor kid's got a big ulcer at the bottom of his eye. He had baytril and metacam injections at the vets' so we start those tomorrow, but we start eyedrops tonight and I'm still on eye wiping duty. Going to be fun!

So that's probably £400 Lopsy's cost me (not including annual vaccinations) since we got him. Thankfully we were prepared for expense!

ETA: aw man, having two interfering bunnies makes medicating hard! Tried to separate them using treats but that failed spectacularly. Carrier-separated Lopsy out into the gaming room and got Matt to hold him in the carrier. He's surprisingly cooperative for eyedrops! He got a crunchie for his trouble :)

Really glad you got it sorted this evening, with all the meds etc!

I find eyedrops quite tricky, as you have to pull the lower lid out and put the drop in, and hold the bunny. Errr, that's at least three hands :lol:

I'm glad you got her seen yesterday. As I mentioned, it is often not possible to see a corneal abrasion with the naked eye, the fluorecein dye is needed for that. Hopefully the ulcer will heal up quickly now that you have obtained prompt treatment for Lopsy. Topping up the vibes ....for both Lopsy and your Bank Balance !

As I mentioned, it is often not possible to see a corneal abrasion with the naked eye, the fluorecein dye is needed for that.
It was, indeed, right underneath!

He's actually alright with the eyedrops: Matt can hold him while I do them and he hasn't flinched once yet (Matt's a hopeless holder because he scared of hurting him :)). Baytril is proving to be a nightmare as expected :roll: We'll see how he feels about metacam at 5:30pm!

Thankyou for all the advice :) His eye did look much better this morning: less pink and much less weepy too. I reckon he must have gone diving through the leftover hay I emptied into the big litter tray while I remodelled the hay rack so Aboleth couldn't sit in it anymore!

It was, indeed, right underneath!

He's actually alright with the eyedrops: Matt can hold him while I do them and he hasn't flinched once yet (Matt's a hopeless holder because he scared of hurting him :)). Baytril is proving to be a nightmare as expected :roll: We'll see how he feels about metacam at 5:30pm!

Thankyou for all the advice :) His eye did look much better this morning: less pink and much less weepy too. I reckon he must have gone diving through the leftover hay I emptied into the big litter tray while I remodelled the hay rack so Aboleth couldn't sit in it anymore!

You're doing great guns! Glad things are on the up as far as his eye is concerned.

Good luck with the Baytril :thumb:

Hope his eye improves soon! One of mine has an ulcer at the moment too, caused by a piece of hay in her eye. Just got her to eat by herself again today finally after a long few days of syringe feeding.

Oh Fran, that's not so good! Lopsy never stopped eating, he's been fine all the way through :) Glad to hear she's doing well and I hope she continues to improve :)

Thanks! Glad he didn't stop eating and is doing well, she's cost me a fortune over these last few days!

Lopsy update: looks like he's never had a problem :D Solved the baytril administration by soaking a dose into two fenugreek crunchies (0.8ml is too much for just one): not ideal but he's sussed the whole bunny-burrito thing and neither me nor Matt are quick/sufficiently skilled enough to get him into it without him escaping or becoming inaccessible (he'd make a good hedgehog!). If he had to take it longer term than until Friday afternoon, I would try and find a better/healthier method, but this way he actually just wolfs them down :) Does mean if Aboleth's in the same area she has to have some too though, though I'm good at remembering which ones are medicated :lol:

He wasn't hugely keen on metacam(!) but that might have been because I was trying to give it him on a spoon indoors and he's now suspicious of everything indoors, so we're trying to keep it to just eyedrops which is not very traumatising, certainly not given the way he bounded back up to me at the door after I put him back in the playhouse this morning...! He did eventually eat the metacam on a piece of apple though, and then lick the spoon.

Back