• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop bonded rabbits falling out

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Hi as many of you know I have two rabbits, one doe and one buck. They've been happily bonded for just over 2 years. Now and then Lola will hump Springfields head, they'll have a bit chase then it's over and best friends again.
It's always been that way and because it's only been now and then they've been fine. It usually ends with him chasing her and when he gets up to her he just sits next to her almost like he's made his point or that he doesn't know what ti do next.
Initially he was most dominant because he'd been the first rabbit and she was introduced later AND she was a very timid rabbit. She's definitely grown in confidence.

Anyway my point is that lately she's been doing it more and more and I'm a bit worried that it's going to end in a fight (which it never has so far)

Worst comes to worse I've got a p@h cage I can use to separate them but would have to be temporary as it's too small. They currently live in a boyles made indoor house and spend all evening out and every weekend through the day and evening. Also with it being Christmas they've had more time out than usual so I know their usual routine is disrupted.

They're always such cuddly buns and kiss each other loads so I'm just keen for any advice that will prevent a break in bond and keep them loved up without the humping.

Any ideas welcome! Thanks

The only thing is that she detects a weakness in him and is becoming more dominant. Sometimes when the female of a pair does this she can become quite a bully, but hopefully this won't happen in your case. I don't know of anything we can do to stop rabbits falling out, except you could have the male rabbit checked over to see if the Vet can feel something not right etc. but failing this I know of nothing else. I assume your female is neutered.

I no longer have any of my group of bunnies :cry: but if ever there was any slight issues with chasing I found restricting the space to their shed for a day would be enough to settle things. That wouldn't work if it was due to any underlying health issues though.

Thanks guys. He's in top health as far as I know but if it continues I'll definitely get him checked out. Yes she was spayed and he was neutered long before they first met ☺ I've let them out of their pen there and as usual they've ran straight under the table curled up together and went to sleep. Guess it's just something I'll need to monitor x

Back