• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Temporarily co-homing two adult males?!

benbun

New Kit
Hello everyone!

Our Benny has always been a lone house bunny. He has free run of the whole house (except our bedroom) whenever anyone is home. He loves guests and is very curious and sociable. My sister also has a lone house bunny, Pete. He is very much like Benny, except maybe a little less sociable (less curious about anything and everything, anyway!). Pete is getting on a bit (about 5 and a half) and has recently been having bladder issues, whilst Benny is around 2 and a half, with a history of GI stasis episodes (although he's nowhere near as bad as he used to be). Both buns have been neutered.

My question is this:
My sister and brother-in-law are off on a two-month honeymoon in February and March, and need someone to look after Pete. Most of their friends have other pets or have no experience with caring for a potentially sickly bun, so they've asked if we could have Pete with us for a couple of months. Is it possible to temporarily bond two very separate males at their ages? Even if possible, is it advisable? I'm also concerned about the inevitable separation at the end of the two months as well, if they do get used to each other.

They did live in the same house for a couple of months last year, but never met each other as they were kept in different rooms (Benny found his way into Pete's room once and sat in his tent eating his food, but Pete wasn't in there at the time). Separate rooms is therefore one potential alternative to introducing them.

Options and advice welcome please! For your viewing pleasure, here are the two buns in question:

bunnies_zpsxj3l5wev.png

Last edited:
You haven't said whether either or both of the rabbits are neutered. Obviously any bonding attempts could only take place if both rabbits were neutered. Personally I would think it very cruel to bond the rabbits, knowing that they would be separated after two months and so just couldn't do it. It would be preferable to me to look after Pete in a separate room.

Damn, one of the first things I wrote was "they are both neutered" but then I decided to put it somewhere more clear so Ctrl-X'd it....and forgot to paste it back in. Yes I'm worried it would be cruel too, just wanted to see if others agreed!

Last edited:
Im not sure they would bond tbh assuming they are both neutered anyway.Even if they did, separating them afterwards wouldn't be fair on them.

Can you have Pete but keep him out of sight of Benny-maybe give him his own room?I think that's the only way you could do it.

Just realised you said that could be an option.Definately your best bet.

I'd go for a separate room.
I don't think it seems very fair to attempt to bond, to then separate them afterwards.

I wouldn't try to bond them as bonding can be very stressful and there would be no point if the other bun was going to leave anyway.

Thanks all - confirmed what I already thought! Separate rooms it is, and Benny and Pete will remain blissfully ignorant of each others' existence :)

Back