• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Territorial behaviour in the run UD HELP!!!POST 4

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hi all.My outdoor buns(Saffi and Sam) who have been bonded just over 2 months moved into their new enclosure 2 weeks ago(playhouse with run attached)but Saffi has decided Sam isn't allowed in "her"run.If he goes in (via the runaround tunnel)she chases him until he gives up and goes back in the playhouse.Its only been going on for 3 days-previous to that they tended to go into the run together and snuggle or play.
I don't feed them in the run,only the playhouse because im concerned it will make Saffi "food possessive" in the run and poor Sam wont get a look in.Apart from the chasing there is no aggression from her.Before Saffi was rescued she lived in a carrier and was used as a breeding machine:(so space is really important to her.
Has anyone else had a similar situation?
Do I let them "get on with it" and hope she forgets to chase him and is there anything I can do to stop this?I feel sorry for Sam stuck in the playhouse all the time as its only 5.5 ft x 3.5 ft.
Thanks x

Last edited:
I am guessing but perhaps she is still thinking as a breeding doe so she has decided that area will be for babies and no-one else is allowed in there. Perhaps you could physicslly put him in there and see if she gets the message. Failing this I have no idea what to do.

Well just to update,things have totally changed.On Christmas Eve (an hour before the family were about to arrive:roll:)I realised the run was covered with Saffis fur but the chasing had already stopped and they were sitting in the playhouse albeit separately.

Sam is now in charge and Saffi seems to have accepted this but hes chasing and mounting her all the time and the last few days wont let her in the playhouse.Hes food aggressive and although I scatter feed everything he follows her about and bites her nose when she eats at times.He binkies outside and enjoys a run around but is moody and sulky often too and guards the playhouse entrance while Saffi sits outside.

They don't sit together and there is no grooming.Despite all this I don't think the bond is doomed.I shut them in the playhouse at night when its going to be particularly cold as I don't like the idea of Saffi getting cold outside and Sam not letting her in.The run is weather proof but its so cold at night.

Hes frustrated and I don't know why.

They are both neutered of course but COULD he have some remaining hormonal tissue causing this behaviour.Hes certainly acting like an entire male.Its cold so I don't know if Spring fever is likely now.He has been like this with his two previous bonds after initially being very submissive for afew weeks- one of which ended as he bit the female quite badly.The other bond ended because unfortunately the doe died (nothing connected with his behaviour)
They've been vet checked and are fine.They were snuggling and grooming a lot before this.
Thankyou for reading my long post.xx

Last edited:
Could there be something about the material the run is made of or the environment it is in that could be setting Sam off? I find it curious that at first it was Saffi being territorial, now he has turned to it. You mentioned remaining hormones...I know I've read of this happening in some cases if the spay or neuter was incomplete, something got missed. How long ago where they altered and how long did you wait to bond them?

Poor bunnies and poor you. :( Nothing worse that animal companions who won't get along for whatever reason. I do hope it's all sorted soon! ((((((Hugs)))))) xxxxx

Could there be something about the material the run is made of or the environment it is in that could be setting Sam off? I find it curious that at first it was Saffi being territorial, now he has turned to it. You mentioned remaining hormones...I know I've read of this happening in some cases if the spay or neuter was incomplete, something got missed. How long ago where they altered and how long did you wait to bond them?

Poor bunnies and poor you. :( Nothing worse that animal companions who won't get along for whatever reason. I do hope it's all sorted soon! ((((((Hugs)))))) xxxxx
Im wondering if its the environment M.
Sam was neutered as soon as his plums appeared as he was bonded with his mum at the time and we didn't want the bond to break down because of his hormones.With hindsight he was abit young.As it was while he was still so young,it could be that tissue was left behind.
They are both 18 months and Saffi has been neutered for several months so both should be hormone free.
I think its more to do with Sam.There is a pattern emerging with his behaviour with his wives.
I will check whether a blood test will reveal his hormone levels and if so what we can do about it.

I love them both and would hate to ultimately have to separate them as it would mean having to rehome one which would be awful.:(

Where did they live before? Could be the sudden increase in space with them being a fairly new bond.

It could be although at the rescue who bonded them for me they had a shed to themselves.They just had the playhouse here to start with for a week while they settled and then access to their run until Cmas Eve when it all kicked off.I kept them in the playhouse to stop him chasing her which helped and gave them access to their run again 3 days later as they were getting abit "cabin bound".
Hes not consistently grouchy.Sometimes hes calm and his face isn't stressed/frustrated looking.

Back