• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ravenous rabbits but not!

Wererabbit

Young Bun
So my neglected fosters are now on the mend and gaining weight nicely.
Lovely friendly bunnies but I have one problem and that is they are sort of lunging (not aggressively) when I bring their food (3xdaily) and almost biting each other in the panic to get the food. I am sprinkle feeding their pellet food/veg and there is constant supply of hay (which they had never had before) & big handful of dried grass onCe a day & I am hiding some food in homemade toys to try to extend feeding time.
I think this is a learnt behaviour, rather than true hunger but any more ideas on how can I calm it down before they are rehomed?
They are super nice natured but this behaviour to inexperienced owners is going to be scary!

Thanks

Two of my buns came from someone who didn't want them anymore, and they were only fed every other day - it took them a long time to realise that the three meals a day here weren't going to come to an end.

I don't have any magic tips, it was just a very slow process that has eventually gotten to the stage where they will eat nicely from my hand - they will have the odd day where they get a bit carried away and my skin gets in the way of pellets, but I think it's more excitement than panic that they need to eat whatever is there before it disappears.

My bun Max does this. I got him when he was about 5 months old and I'm not sure of his quality of life before that or what triggered it. I have now had him for 4 years and he has never grown out of it, despite my efforts. Filling his litter tray up with hay is a nightmare because he grunts and lunges. He's not a biter but he has got me by accident a few times :roll: I have to sprinkle their pellets from a height and even then he grunts and tries to jump up :shock:

Back