• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting bunnies

maxjohn

Young Bun
f216102a5ea3ae93d6c112b4ee8221cb.jpg

Molly & Martha 4 mths old I've had them since 6 wks old I've just moved them into s new home it's a shed with an added run day 1 they were great
Day 2 had a fight fur flying but they settled next 3 days fine
Today Fri this morning fur all over floor Martha has just sat in a corner all day ventured out for food only I'm new to this so any advice will be greatly appreciated
Max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have 2 females bunnies 4 mths old Molly & Martha they are from the same mum I've had them since 6 was old, I've just moved them into a new home it's a shed that we've added a run to so they've got plenty of room they were fine on the first day fought on 2nd day then great for the last 3 days then today when I went out to them fur all over the floor and Martha has been sat in the corner virtually all day they've always ate together but not today I'm new to this so any advice will be greatly appreciated
Max

Their hormones are kicking in and girl buns can have serious fights,even sisters.You may need to separate them,already sounds like one is showing dominance over the other.Also a new home maybe upsetting them.There are numerous threads on here about bonding and getting buns spayed etc.

Do you mean separate them for good ? thought maybe it was because they'd been moved they've been so close
Thankyou

No not for good but it sounds like they are beginning to have serious fighting and they could really cause some damage to each other.Females usually get spayed around 6 months old.I have only had male/female pair and they got along fine,both neutered of course.As I said plenty of folk on her with bonding advice thread etc.Females together can be a tricky bond.

It sounds more like you have 2 boys as they do start to fight at around this age. Please have them checked, or do it yourself if you feel confident, as boys can seriously injure one another. The move would have upset things but that isn't to say they wouldn't have fought anyway.

Yes I will, I was assured by the lady I git them off she'd had them checked and they were girls they're fine today no signs of anymore fights they've eaten together as well does this behaviour settle or do I have a long term problem
Thankyou

Aw I know they're just so not happy bunnies at the mo [emoji195][emoji195]

Rabbits don't like moves as they are territorial animals, but if they are girls then hopefully they should settle down in their new shed. Can you have a look as if they are boys their testicles should be visible.

Agree with Tonibun-check that they're actually female. Mis-sexing of rabbits happens all the time as they are tricky and boys can pull up their testicles. You may want to separate before you have a major fight where one gets hurt or something happens that their bond can't be reversed.

Thankyou for all your advice everyone I've spoken to 2 vets today they've said to have the dominant one done to start with £103 I've no experience at all didn't realise it was so expensive also the quiet one has got 2 small cuts on her they appear clean & dry is there anything I should be going or use Tia

Good morning just thought I'd update on my fighting bunnies up until 11pm last night they've been ok then fighting again luckily I'd gone to check on them just as it was starting I've rang 4 different vets as in your comments advised to separate them I did this last night this morning within seconds at it again [emoji48]
Molly is going in tomorrow morning for op one vet said she thinks at the mo to fully let them settle in before going ahead with anything else she also said separation can cause more problems? and they might not get along again ?
Thankyou for all help tips & advice much appreciated [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Also another suggestion I've had is to completely remove everything from shed clean it with and all toys etc in vinegar & water ?

I would keep them separate now as the one being spayed will need to rest for a good week. I don't think you need to clean everything, just make sure the newly spayed rabbit comes back to a clean hutch etc.

I would use the vinegar when you're going to bond them again after they have recovered from the surgeries, so then the space is neutralized and no one will be fighting b/c of the territory already being theirs.

Ok so I'm I best to leave things as they are now keep them separate theyre both having op tomorrow when I bring them home tomorrow evening then when they're recovered do the vinegar thing and start again ?
Thankyou

Hi guys just thought I'd update in Molly & Martha they both had op on Tuesday they've been very quiet really. I kept them apart as the vet advised me to for 2 nights so yesterday tried them together they weren't to bad at all at first think I had them together too long as they started chasing intervened once so I was really pleased this morning put them together but made their area smaller within 10 minutes they were sat together grooming [emoji3] so what I'd like to know is would you leave them together to sleep or separate them they'll be able to see one another Tia [emoji195][emoji195][emoji195]

Back