• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depressed?

Just thought I’d pop in with an update on Billy now he’s had a few days to recover from the stressful vet visit!

Although I feel bad for subjecting him to the stress, it seems to have done some good. When I brought him home, I put him down outside his cage and let him hop in of his own accord, and it seems to have made him aware there is a world outside his cage. The cage has a big lip around the base, so we put a step down outside the cage around the same height, and started putting some food on it. Before the vet, he wouldn't go near the door, never mind the food, but after Friday he started sticking his nose out to take food from outside the door. Last night my OH put something a little further out, that would have required him to hop out to get, and while OH’s back was turned, the food disappeared, so either we have a poltergeist, or Billy left his cage for the first time!

He is spending more time outside of his hiding place while we are in the room, although he still runs from us, and is still wary about taking anything from our hands. We think bonding with him will be a lot easier when he feels comfortable enough to leave his cage though, as we can then start lying on the floor and coming down to his level. I don’t think he would have left his cage without the intervention, so it was worth our while. Ultimately, we want him to be free-range, but only when he is ready for it.

He seems to be alright with less pellets, and I have increased the amount of lettuce and other leaves we give him, but he doesn't seem to be complaining.

I'm so glad to hear all went well at the vets :thumb:

It sounds like he has really great humans and he's a lucky bun!

I'd say your understanding & patience is winning him round more than the vet visit (but at least you know nothings wrong & he's now vaccinated). Slowly slowly catchy bunny:)
I expect with your approach he'll continue to grow in confidence..good luck

I'd say your understanding & patience is winning him round more than the vet visit (but at least you know nothings wrong & he's now vaccinated). Slowly slowly catchy bunny:)
I expect with your approach he'll continue to grow in confidence..good luck

I agree ^^ he sounds lovely ....

He does sound lovely. Just one thing- I thought rabbits couldn't have lettuce- I'm confused! (newbie owner here too!)

He does sound lovely. Just one thing- I thought rabbits couldn't have lettuce- I'm confused! (newbie owner here too!)

Lettuce is fine, but different sources say different thing, so it is confusing (I suppose because rabbits are all different sizes). I've heard as much as a cup is ok, and that darker leaved varieties are better (and iceberg lettuce is supposedly poisonous). Better to introduce anything slowly.

Just popping in with another quick update on Billy. We started to pull him out of his cage in the evenings - it means removing the lid from his safe-space. He doesn't like it, but we put him down on the carpet with lots of new safe-space, and each night he has been getting more curious and less nervous (and easier to pick up). We started lying on the floor, and he's been investigating us (and nipping my fingers, though not aggressively). It seems Billy's personality responds to being pushed out his comfort zone, and realising he's still alive afterwards.

I do think he's had a spell of low mood - most likely due to boredom/loneliness while he doesn't trust us. He's getting better. We'll get him neutered in a few months and start looking for a friend for him!

Aww what a lovely update. I do think it is so nice for rabbits to have companionship.

Back