• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Ruby :( it's not looking good UD she's gone

beki

Mama Doe
I've just been out to see the rabbits. Ruby isn't good at all. I need to ring the vets but I'm too scared to. She keeps falling over and her bottom is wet. I think she has weed on herself. She is also making little squeaking noises. I think she will have to be pts but I can't hold myself together long enough to call the vets!

Last edited:
I've rang. Taking her at 2. I couldn't do an emergency and go straight down as I can't take Finlay with me, he is only 3 so we need to drop him at his grandparents.

I don't I so what to do!!

I've rang. Taking her at 2. I couldn't do an emergency and go straight down as I can't take Finlay with me, he is only 3 so we need to drop him at his grandparents.

I don't I so what to do!!

Oh I am sorry to hear this. Could you pop Ruby into a Pet Carrier now to keep her calm until you can take her to the Vet ? Sometimes a very poorly Rabbit feels safer in a small space that is quiet and relatively dark.

I hope that she can remain as peaceful as possible xx

Thank you both.

Thanks Jane, a pet carrier is a very good idea. I am hoping she will be ok but I know in my heart that this is it. She seems to have aged in the last week and I put some kale right in front of her, which she usually loves, but she just sniffed it and turned away. I just hope that the fall last Sunday hasn't done it. It was a fall of around 2 feet but she seemed fine :( she has been acting fine all week.

I also don't know what to tell Finlay if we have to have her pts. He is a very inquisitive child with an extremely good memory but he is only 3 so doesn't understand. Oddly he brought up reggie yesterday. We don't mention Reggie in front of him often and he said "where is my blue rabbit?" Reggie was a blue grey. I told him that he had been very poorly so couldn't live with us any more and then the "what happened" and "why" started. Reggie died in November. So he is going to be asking for a very long time where Ruby is. He loves Ruby. He doesn't have a lot of contact with Bertie (other rabbit) as he is not particularly sociable but Ruby plays with him. It's probably this that upsets me the most. I'm so worried about what to tell him and him bringing it up a lot :(

Just want to send vibes ((((((((((Hugs))))))))))) I am so sorry that you are facing such a daunting possibilty. :( I dread any time one of my animals falls ill now as they are all seniors or middle aged and each has health challenges...except for one of the dogs.
Will be thinking of you, Ruby and Finlay today. xxxxxx

I'm sorry that Ruby isn't doing too good :( Will be thinking of you x

As for Finlay - it depends on your beliefs, but I think I'd just say something like 'Ruby was very poorly and the vets (or animal doctors, or whatever he knows) couldn't make her better, so she died'. I'd stay away from the 'she's gone for a very long sleep' sort of thing as IMO that just confuses kids and can worry them to the point where they won't go to sleep! It's a really hard balance between too much and too little, but I'd just try and tell him a simple, watered-down version without twisting the truth? If that makes any sense?! I'm sure you'll do whatever is best for you in the circumstances x

Sorry to hear about Ruby, I'm sure you have looked after her as best as you can and that she'll love you for that. As for Finlay I think that children are sometimes more able to process things than we give them credit for. He may surprise you when you explain what has happened. Sending vibes to help you get through this xx

Ruby had to be pts at the vet appointment. The vet suggested admitting her and giving her a drip and syringe feeding her to see if she perked up but said it may not have an effect. On closer checking she noticed her eyes were flickering and her breathing had become more shallow. It was a different vet to the one I see usually and she said it looked like ec due to the flickering and loss of use in her back legs. My vet had thought ec unlikely just has her head tilt responded so well to baytril, though I suppose the ec could Have been masked a bit perhaps. The normal vet also thought ec unlikely as she had been treated with 28 days of panacur but I suppose with ec no one really knows enough about it. We decided it was best to let her go, I couldn't prolong anything for a minute hope that a drip may improve her, it wouldn't have cured her and I didn't want her in pain.

My poor beautiful bunny. She is now pain free and back with Reggie, her long term partner who we lost in November.

Ruby had to be pts at the vet appointment. The vet suggested admitting her and giving her a drip and syringe feeding her to see if she perked up but said it may not have an effect. On closer checking she noticed her eyes were flickering and her breathing had become more shallow. It was a different vet to the one I see usually and she said it looked like ec due to the flickering and loss of use in her back legs. My vet had thought ec unlikely just has her head tilt responded so well to baytril, though I suppose the ec could Have been masked a bit perhaps. The normal vet also thought ec unlikely as she had been treated with 28 days of panacur but I suppose with ec no one really knows enough about it. We decided it was best to let her go, I couldn't prolong anything for a minute hope that a drip may improve her, it wouldn't have cured her and I didn't want her in pain.

My poor beautiful bunny. She is now pain free and back with Reggie, her long term partner who we lost in November.

I am sorry that you had to let her go :cry: Sometimes it is the only humane option

RIP Ruby xx

When I saw her this morning I felt that it was the only option for her. She looked so frail at the vets and just lay on her side. It's such a horrible decision to make, I kept thinking could I do more but she looked so poorly. She was 6.5 years and no illness until this and I did wonder if her age would hinder any recovery, if she was able to recover

Oh Beki, I am so sorry!

She is at peace now ... Run free Ruby xx

So sorry Beki, you tried so hard, sometimes it's better to let them go rather than prolonging the agony. Ruby had the best life with you. rip Sweet Ruby.

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you absolutely acted with her best interests in mind. RIP Ruby.

Back