• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Albert

melaniejb

Mama Doe
I haven't been on RU for ages so people probably don't remember me, although you may know me from facebook, but sadly we had to put our beautiful Albert to sleep last night. We got Albert and Poppy in 2005 and this forum was invaluable for the first few years of rabbit ownership. I've just been reading through all my old posts and it's so interesting to read about how they settled in and little details that I've forgotten or just take for granted nowadays.

Albert was an old boy at 13/14 years old (I'm sure that his long life was due to the support I received from this forum) and he has been going downhill for a long time now. Finally yesterday he had a stroke and we had to call out an emergency vet to come and put him to sleep. He went peacefully and quickly in my arms. He didn't fight it.

He leaves behind the beautiful Poppy, who is 10 years old and full of beans and full of life. She seems fine so far and I left Albert in with her overnight so that she would have her time to realise that he has gone. I will get her a new husbun in a few weeks, once I have had time to recover as I and my husband are bereft. Albert was such a big part of our lives and we loved him so very much.

RIP Bertie.xxx

Goodness, what a great age he got to! I am sure he also got to that age by having a loving home with you and Poppy.
Sleep tight little one xx

I am sorry you have lost Albert but he was obviously very well loved and cared for. He was a lucky bunny. RIP Albert xx

I haven't been on RU for ages so people probably don't remember me, although you may know me from facebook, but sadly we had to put our beautiful Albert to sleep last night. We got Albert and Poppy in 2005 and this forum was invaluable for the first few years of rabbit ownership. I've just been reading through all my old posts and it's so interesting to read about how they settled in and little details that I've forgotten or just take for granted nowadays.

Albert was an old boy at 13/14 years old (I'm sure that his long life was due to the support I received from this forum) and he has been going downhill for a long time now. Finally yesterday he had a stroke and we had to call out an emergency vet to come and put him to sleep. He went peacefully and quickly in my arms. He didn't fight it.

He leaves behind the beautiful Poppy, who is 10 years old and full of beans and full of life. She seems fine so far and I left Albert in with her overnight so that she would have her time to realise that he has gone. I will get her a new husbun in a few weeks, once I have had time to recover as I and my husband are bereft. Albert was such a big part of our lives and we loved him so very much.

RIP Bertie.xxx

Hello, I remember you well. I am so sorry to hear of Albert's passing. You obviously gave him a wonderful life and also granted him the final gift of a dignified passing.

It is of little consolation that a Rabbit may be very elderly when we loose them. That fact does not negate our sense of loss in any way, I know that all too well. I hope that in time you can look back on Albert's life and smile at all the memories he has given to you to treasure forever. I hope that Poppy will gradually come to terms with her loss too.

Binky Free Albert xx

RIP Bertie.xxx

Ah I do remember you :wave:

It's lovely to hear from you, but sad that you lost Albert. My old lady turns 13 this year, and I think the longer you have them, the more a part of your family they become. I can't imagine life without coming home and seeing the Matriarch of my house waiting for me to do her every bidding. It's so very difficult.

They see you through thick and thin, don't they?

Rest in Peace lovely Albert :love:

I can understand your sadness Albert got to such a great age, a very long life. I am so sorry for you. I just lost my bun Chloe at the age of 12 but she coulnot go any further .. RIP Albert you were loved and cared for, for so many years

Thank you for all of your lovely comments. It means a lot. I feel a bit like our grief is not as valid as had we lost a dog or cat.

Thank you for all of your lovely comments. It means a lot. I feel a bit like our grief is not as valid as had we lost a dog or cat.

I feel our grief is every bit as valid as with any other loved being.

I hope others are not making you feel it's less important.

((( hugs )))

Oh no, Binky Free old man.... he was obviously a much loved bunny..

As I don't remember you or your bunnies, would you like to share photos of Albert and Poppy?
We'd love to see your precious boy..

I am so sorry, loads of hugs, bunnies pull on our heart strings just as much as cats and dogs,,,,

Fee x

Back