• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Research, research, research!

Hi 😀

My husband and I have been thinking about getting a rabbit for a while now. We've read so much online, bought a book about it all but we are still not decided. I thought it would be a good idea to post this and ask my questions to people to have and love house rabbits!

Firstly, we are not 100% sure whether we would want a buck or doe. We've read good and bad things about both and we do planned to get our rabbit neutured, but what does everyone think? Is there a better one to have or if given the right time and attention, are they both the same?

Another thing, do rabbits really smell? We know they are clean animals and we would keep their home clean but does it smell anyway or not? If they do, are there any ways to reduce this?

Any information or tips on bringing the rabbit home, playing with it, bonding with it, treats etc. would be very much appreciated. I really would like a rabbit and think we could give it a wonderful home but we just need some questions answered before we are 100% sure!!

Thank you x

My first suggestion would be that you would need a pair. Rabbits are social animals and shouldn't really be kept alone. This would then solve your buck or doe issue as you could have one of each. If you get them from a rescue then they will already be neutered so that would solve that as well.

As for being smelly, if you don't clean their litter trays regularly then yes, they will smell. However, litter trays changed daily will hardly have any odour.

:wave:

Hiya!!! I would also suggest a pair of bunnies, they are a sociable animal and thrive on company.. A nentered pair of bunnies from a rescue are always available and they come pre vet checked, vaccinated and neutered.

As for being smelly.. They don't smell, unless their litter box is left dirty. They can be litter trained and this makes cleaning up easier... Unneutered bunnies can spray and this is a pain,,,,

Good luck
Fee x

Back