• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jensen - Problems after neutering.

Jambalu

Young Bun
So both Jared and Jensen went to the vets for their operations on Friday. It went OK for them both, it took a couple of days for them to get their appetites back and start pooping properly, but everything was going good. Until Jensen pulled out his stitches, now the operation site is infected. We took him straight to the vet and he gave him two injections and two medicines to take daily. The vet didn't say anything about stitching the wound back up or anything, and i'm worried. I checked him earlier and both sacks are firm and swollen and the wound is very pink and slightly open. I don't know what else I can do to help clear the infection, but i'm in worried bunny mum mode and just want him to be OK. The vet said to take him back this coming Friday, should I take him earlier if there are no signs of it getting better?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

So both Jared and Jensen went to the vets for their operations on Friday. It went OK for them both, it took a couple of days for them to get their appetites back and start pooping properly, but everything was going good. Until Jensen pulled out his stitches, now the operation site is infected. We took him straight to the vet and he gave him two injections and two medicines to take daily. The vet didn't say anything about stitching the wound back up or anything, and i'm worried. I checked him earlier and both sacks are firm and swollen and the wound is very pink and slightly open. I don't know what else I can do to help clear the infection, but i'm in worried bunny mum mode and just want him to be OK. The vet said to take him back this coming Friday, should I take him earlier if there are no signs of it getting better?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

I am assuming that the medication you were given to administer to Jenson are an antibiotic and a non steroidal anti-inflamatory analgesic ?

Is he still eating/pooing and weeing OK ?

You will need to be very vigilant re checking the wound several times a day and taking all possible precautions to deter flies from the Rabbit's environment-eg fly netting over hutches/runs, fly strips, electronic fly 'zappers', citronella oil. Any open wound on a Rabbit increases the risk of Flystrike

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

If his scrotum still looks just as inflamed and swollen tomorrow I'd give the Vet a call again and see if he/she thinks Jensen needs to be seen before Friday.

All post op treatment should be free, at least that's the case with many vets including mine. So feel free to take him as often as you like. Both my giants interfered with their neuters more than once and I was at the vets near enough every day for a week or so :shock: Better to be safe than sorry.

I am assuming that the medication you were given to administer to Jenson are an antibiotic and a non steroidal anti-inflamatory analgesic ?

Is he still eating/pooing and weeing OK ?

You will need to be very vigilant re checking the wound several times a day and taking all possible precautions to deter flies from the Rabbit's environment-eg fly netting over hutches/runs, fly strips, electronic fly 'zappers', citronella oil. Any open wound on a Rabbit increases the risk of Flystrike

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

If his scrotum still looks just as inflamed and swollen tomorrow I'd give the Vet a call again and see if he/she thinks Jensen needs to be seen before Friday.

I'm not sure what the medications are for, I might look it up, but they are labelled, Baytril and Loxicom.
He is pooing, eating and everything normally. He seems alert and mobile.
I took out all the usual bedding before they arrived home and have been replacing newspapers several times a day to try and keep it clean. The vet didn't say anything about cleaning the wound? I was unsure whether that would just stress him out unnecessarily.
I will definitely keep a close eye, thank you for your advice.

Baytril is an antibiotic & metacam is a painkiller and anti inflammatory :)

I would probably take him to the vets tomorrow if the wound site is not looking any better. As someone's already mentioned post op checks are usually free at most vets (mines is)

Nose rubs for jenson ❤️

EDIT sorry just noticed you said loxicom. It's the same thing as metacam they are both non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (both are meloxicam. The only difference as far as I am aware is that they are sold by different companies)

Last edited:
All post op treatment should be free, at least that's the case with many vets including mine. So feel free to take him as often as you like. Both my giants interfered with their neuters more than once and I was at the vets near enough every day for a week or so :shock: Better to be safe than sorry.

Unfortunately i'm not sure that's the case with my local vet. There are two post op appointments that were included in the price of neuter but any further treatment or meds I have to pay for, I think, I will ask though, just to make sure, it is worth checking. I will definitely be giving them a ring tomorrow and will take him in if he needs to go in, whether it costs or not.

Unfortunately i'm not sure that's the case with my local vet. There are two post op appointments that were included in the price of neuter but any further treatment or meds I have to pay for, I think, I will ask though, just to make sure, it is worth checking. I will definitely be giving them a ring tomorrow and will take him in if he needs to go in, whether it costs or not.

I've never been told that post op treatment is free at my vets, but as you say, that's neither here nor there.

Just to add, and you may not agree with this at all, but several people (and myself many times) have had success healing swollen testicles by giving an arnica tablet. Of course, to continue with the abx and loxicam - it would be as an addition. As I said, lots of people here disagree with using homeopathy so take it or leave it :D

Thank you for all the info and advice.

Jensen went back to the vet and he said he was healing very well to say he ripped his stitches out. It has closed up and the swelling is going down, he has a day or two of medicine left now and he has been taking it really well, I will still be checking him twice a day to make sure there's no further problems. Jared is also healing beautifully, he hasn't even attempted to interfere with his wound.

I'm feeling much less worried now, thank you again for your help.

Back