• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not sure how bonding is going

Hi, i have 2 bunnies that i am trying to bond, norma and ralph they are both neutered. When having a bonding session for the first 10-20 minutes there is general sitting by each other and ralph sometimes grooms norma a little which seems good but then it all starts to go wrong well i think wrong ralph then starts mounting/humping norma which norma will take the first couple of times after that she doesnt seem to like it and seems to get stressed as she trys to get away and starts to grunt, this is where chasing starts so i break it up this point if ralph continues as he can be quite persistant. The mounting seems to be the problem as they seem to get on ok other than the humping matter. I have no idea what to do, should i leave ralph to it. Anyone else had this trouble?

Some humping and chasing is normal in bonding. I would let them sort it out (unless a full on fight happens ofcourse). Keep an eye out for raised tails (sign of annoyance). Some fur pulling is also normal. It should all calm down after a couple of days (I left mine together 24/7 as they were in my bedroom and I could be with them at all times).

Best of luck. I found bonding scarey but fun!

I agree with Tulsi. The boy should chase for a day or two then it will all die down and become peaceful. Good luck. It is nerve wrecking but worth it.

I agree with Tulsi. The boy should chase for a day or two then it will all die down and become peaceful. Good luck. It is nerve wrecking but worth it.

Ok thanks for your help well the humping has been going on for longer than a few days been a couple of weeks now

I hope all goes well for you. its all nerve racking when you start to bond bunnies. just got mine back after both being neutered, I was really lucky they went back together happily. it does sound like you are getting there once the humping calms down.

The problem is possibly if you keep separating them then when you put them together again the boy has to go through this humping process once more to establish the hierarchy. Best to keep them together so the bond can develop.

Back