• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with your bunny poo

FredW

Alpha Buck
I was wondering what you all do with your bunny do... Bunbuns is using a litter tray, one of those underbed storage boxes, I use paperlitter down the bottom and fresh hay at the top. That's the only bedding/litter I use, since she doesn't like sleeping on woodchip, so I put her a towel in her run and she sleeps on that. At the moment I put it in my normal household bin. It used to be ok with just her.... but she'll be joined by her new boyfriend soon, so it will probably be too much to put in the normal bin. so just wonder what everyone else does with it? Our council says you can add small rodent litter and bedding in the brown garden bins, even mentioned rabbits, but when I asked for a bin, they've send a new leaflet out in which it now says no animal droppings. so don't really know what I should do for the best. any suggestions?

Some of it ....

e1f8f453d467ec0f4a6defed8a153a99.jpg

If I feel my bin has too much bunny stuff in it, I bag the remainder and put in my normal household bin. I sometimes collect poos from the garden and put round shrubs or onto lawn.

I would email your local council and ask whether you can put it in the brown bin. Mine officially says 'no animal waste' but I emailed in and explained it would be bunny poo, hay and a small amount of paper litter (megazorb) and they gave me the okay as long as it wasn't more than 50% of each binload. I think they have a blanket 'no animal waste' policy as carnivore waste can easily contaminate green waste recycling, so they cover all bases.

Yeah looking at a compost bin right now, but since waiting for the garden to be landscaped I don't really want to start a new compost since that's done. however I did email the council again to ask what they say also, so will see, but good knowing that some take it, thanks yaretzi for that

We compost most of ours but sometimes it gets a bit over-full so we pick the poo out for the compost bin (only bunny owners would sit and fish poo out) and put the hay and paper litter on our garden waste wheelie bin which our council don't mind!

Our garden bins accept "hay" & "rabbit bedding" - the only time hay or bedding comes without bunny poo is fresh from the packet in our house so in the green bin with it all :)

We attempted to compost it once, the bunnies found their way through the bin and used it as a cut through! You would open the bin to find a bunny sat there on top of the pile!!

I think it's interesting to see how the different councils handle things. Based on all I have seen here, I think I may need to get a compost bin sorted out when the garden is done, but in the meantime will be interesting to see what our council comes back with.

I separate the poo from the hay and megazorb, and give it to a friend with an allotment. She can't get enough of it, says all the other allotment holders are jealous as it's so great for growing super veg! :D I get some free veg in return (like a huge bag of rhubarb that's turned me into a crumble addict!).

The rest of the waste I put in the green garden waste bin, then squeeze some into the grey household waste bin, then I still have some bags to take to the tip which goes in the garden waste skip.

Will compost it once bin is setup, currently bag&bin it, or move it around the lawn if it's there already :) I've used it to help my grass seed along! Parents used to compost it too and it never went anywhere else, but they had two 2x2m open-top bins up the back garden!

I was wondering what you all do with your bunny do... Bunbuns is using a litter tray, one of those underbed storage boxes, I use paperlitter down the bottom and fresh hay at the top. That's the only bedding/litter I use, since she doesn't like sleeping on woodchip, so I put her a towel in her run and she sleeps on that. At the moment I put it in my normal household bin. It used to be ok with just her.... but she'll be joined by her new boyfriend soon, so it will probably be too much to put in the normal bin. so just wonder what everyone else does with it? Our council says you can add small rodent litter and bedding in the brown garden bins, even mentioned rabbits, but when I asked for a bin, they've send a new leaflet out in which it now says no animal droppings. so don't really know what I should do for the best. any suggestions?

I put all rabbit droppings, hay, straw, paper and vegetable waste into my two compost bins :D

We bag up our rabbit waste (poops, sawdust, hay and the odd wet newspaper), into plastic rabbit pellet sacks. Then on our regular fortnightly trip to the local tip we just empty the sacks over the wall where all the garden waste, tree pruning and grass cuttings go. All the green waste is then composted by our local council and sold at local garden centres as potting compost. I think they charge about £2.50 a sack for it. So anyone who buys it has a good compost for their plants. They probably don't realise that all their fabulous veg and flowers are probably thanks to my bunnies!!

I compost mine too. I have two "Dalek" compost bins and have just ordered a third. I put in all my bunny poo and soiled hay/straw, some aubiose plus raw veg kitchen waste/ tea bags etc and torn up cardboard. I try to add it in layers with grass clippings and I add comfrey as an activator during the growing season. It works pretty well and I've got one bin that's curently ready for use. Never thought of adding "neat" poo to plants though, will give that a try!

Back