• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going from bunny cage to house free?

Hi, i am new to this forum so i am not quite sure how things work around here..?
Anyways, i have a bonded pair of bunnies, and they have a huge cage. But i am thinking of letting them free range permanently... Do you think this is something i should do, and if yes than how should i do it. My room is quite big but it has lots and lots of wood conners which they always chew when i let them free range. Is there something i can do about that? Thank you to anyone who helps!

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: it would definitely be good for the rabbits if they could free range permanently, as most cages aren't big enough to shut a rabbit in, despite what the manufacturers might say;) the rwaf recommends a minimum of a 6ftx2ft cage with permanently attached run of 8ft x 4ft, giving a total of 44 sq ft minimum.

You will need to protect any wooden corners with something, you could try plasterboard corners such as http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thin-Coat-Anglebead-2-4m/p/240322 or you could use puppy pen panels to stop them getting to them. You will also need to make sure they cannot get to any electrical wiring, or protect it by putting it into ducting.

I'm sure they will love it :thumb:

My bun used to live in a very large puppy pen with supervised bedroom playtime, but he's been nearly completely free range for a while now (shut in at bedtime) and it's made such a big difference - he is definitely miles happier!

I sat with mine for quite a lot of time while he was out working out what he wanted to eat/chew/ruin and found any spots he could get into then blocked them off. I'd definitely recommend getting something to protect anything you don't want chewing - my wardrobe has been munched because I didn't protect it well enough haha :) definitely cover all wires and make sure things are unplugged if there's any chance of chewing!

They'll absolutely love being free range, it makes them so much happier. It's also nice cow you can buy things like tunnels and boxes for on the floor or bed for playtime that wouldn't fit in a traditional cage :) definitely go for it! :)

Back