• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC novice, worried

bigwig has now been on 0.6 metacam twice a day for 3 days and i think it's working. he still has the occasional wobble but mainly after he's been laying down for a while, which doesn't surprise. i am going to keep him at this level for now and have a warming rug ordered for (hopefully if i can persuade him to use it - i will persist! :) ) him to lay on and try to keep the joints warm. i am still pursuing the physio option, especially as i'd like pointers on how to massage him too. it's just a question of finding someone i can trust reasonably locally. no luck yet but there has to be someone and i'll find them - massive thanks for helping, i hated seeing him struggle and panic and it's so good to hear him snore and know that means he's relaxed. <3

bigwig has now been on 0.6 metacam twice a day for 3 days and i think it's working. he still has the occasional wobble but mainly after he's been laying down for a while, which doesn't surprise. i am going to keep him at this level for now and have a warming rug ordered for (hopefully if i can persuade him to use it - i will persist! :) ) him to lay on and try to keep the joints warm. i am still pursuing the physio option, especially as i'd like pointers on how to massage him too. it's just a question of finding someone i can trust reasonably locally. no luck yet but there has to be someone and i'll find them - massive thanks for helping, i hated seeing him struggle and panic and it's so good to hear him snore and know that means he's relaxed. <3

I am so pleased that he appears to be much more comfortable now :) Good luck with your search for a Physiotherapist.

Good luck with your search for a physio :thumb: Your warming rug sounds great! Just the thing for him to keep himself warm on ...

Long may the snoring continue :wave:

bigwig has not been doing so well, physio hasn't helped and he now spends a lot of time trying to drag himself around on two legs ..... but we started acupuncture today and he was an absolute superstar lying still and noshing on hay. tonight he has had a bad night but i know that was to be expected, the vet warned us that he might get worse for a couple of days before any chance of seeing any improvements. he is still mentally and emotionally strong and eating and pooping like the star that he is. if i may i ask for prayers that this course we are now undertaking helps him. he has such a strong thirst for life and people around him who love him very much. <3 also if anyone else has any other ideas that we might try to help him i am open to them all,ty x

update bigwig is doing much much better :) acupuncture didn't seem to help so we tried cold laser and the results have been awesome. after the first treatment we had actual hopping! we have kept the physio going throughout along with the glyco tabs. he has a ways to go but the muscles are getting stronger and the feeling is returning to his feet. our physiotherapist suspects that although it didn't show up on the xray and the spondi and arthritis did that at some point he hurt himself and that this was what caused the dramatic decline and that although he will suffer from spondi and arthritis it will be in a more normal slow decline and manage symptom kind of way. i don't care why or what i am just really happy that we are managing to help my boy. we've got some cetyl-m tablets coming too (we were desperate to try everything and anything to help him) and they should fingers crossed help stave off the arthritis. from one happy bunny mummy :) x
ps i can recommend cold laser to anyone whose bun has got over exuberant and hurt himself and you can administer it yourself at home, so it's not stressful at all for your bunny

update bigwig is doing much much better :) acupuncture didn't seem to help so we tried cold laser and the results have been awesome. after the first treatment we had actual hopping! we have kept the physio going throughout along with the glyco tabs. he has a ways to go but the muscles are getting stronger and the feeling is returning to his feet. our physiotherapist suspects that although it didn't show up on the xray and the spondi and arthritis did that at some point he hurt himself and that this was what caused the dramatic decline and that although he will suffer from spondi and arthritis it will be in a more normal slow decline and manage symptom kind of way. i don't care why or what i am just really happy that we are managing to help my boy. we've got some cetyl-m tablets coming too (we were desperate to try everything and anything to help him) and they should fingers crossed help stave off the arthritis. from one happy bunny mummy :) x
ps i can recommend cold laser to anyone whose bun has got over exuberant and hurt himself and you can administer it yourself at home, so it's not stressful at all for your bunny

Wonderful to hear how much he is improving and I really hope that it continues xx

Wow, how super to get such a good update! :thumb:

That is indeed a lovely update. I'd love to hear more about cold laser treatment. Lots of vibes to help you & Bigwig continue to manage his conditions so well

Back