• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scratch alert!!!

Sammi_f89

New Kit
I wonder if anyone else has had or is having the same issue???
We bought two rabbits in January (Ralph and Daisy), we are unsure of their breed as they were rescued from a foster carer, by think they maybe Netherlands dwarfs.
Anyway, I have a fantastic bond with Ralph-defiantly a mummy's boy! However, Daisy is a different story!!
Everytime I go to pick her up, she runs away and when I do eventually catch her, she scratches and nips me half to death!! I have so many marks where she has scratched me, it's ridiculous! Recently, she has taken to headbutting my hand away if I go near her too!! She is so calm with everyone else, such as my husband, my mother in law and I took them into my work to visit the children a couple of weeks ago (as I work in a nursery) and she even sat with them, let them hold her and stroke her and they were a little rough (as children can be) but nothing from her. I don't quite understand what's going on?? I hold her the same way as everyone else, tried treats, everything!!! but she won't have any of it...any advice would be so greatful! I like my skin the way it is!! thank you xxx

Last edited:
Most rabbits hate being handled, and picked up in particular, she is just conveying her displeasure. She was probably very scared about being in a new situation, so that is why she was more submissive. I wouldn't recommend taking rabbits into schools or nurseries to be honest. My pair of boys hate being handled, I taught them to go into a carrier by having it open in their shed all the time, and I feed them their pellets in it every night. This means at vet time I can get them in the carrier in the same way, and then at the vets they allow me to handle them as they are so scared.

Here is a link that has got loads of great info on it http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp

I can only mimic what Zoobec said, rabbits aren't fond of being picked up and handled, they are ground animals and like their feet on the ground. Mine only get picked up if its a rare situation like vet trip for vaccinations or a nail clip or something. My two interact with me on the floor, they climb into my knee and things and like a stroke on their terms.

I wouldn't recommend taking rabbits to the nursery children again either, rabbits hate car trips and are very scared by children as they are noisy/rough and they often try to cuddle the rabbit when they are so fragile this can lead to accidents. I worked in a nursery for a while and my mum wanted to bring them in for our nursery children and I said no, the stress it causes them just isn't worth it.

Your girl is just sending you messages letting you know what she does not like! Try interacting with her on the floor, I used to just sit with a book or watching TV with Milo and Finn and they would come over to investigate me. Making a relationship with rabbits isn't about cuddles and picking them up, its about being patient, waiting for them to feel comfortable and respecting the messages they send you. When they do trust you its very worth it x

She probably sat when you took her into the nursery because she was terrified. As has already been said, rabbits do not like to be taken around - they like their own environment, neither do most of them like being picked up (much better to interact with them on their terms, such as down on the floor). They are prey animals and therefore are easily scared. I am assuming your rabbits are neutered? A dog may enjoy being taken to visit new places but unfortunately not the case with rabbits.

Flo is the same - she hates being picked up like most bunnies, but does enjoy affection so I just let her come to me. I just sit down and she hop over and sit beside me for nose rubs (or sometime on my lap if I'm lucky)! When I take her to the vets she is very easy to handle because she is so petrified there - rabbits do not like a big change in environment.

Thank you all for ur helpful comments...I still don't get why it's only me she is like this with though? Everyone else she is fine with...happy to sit next to them and cuddle. It's very strange but thank you again x

Thank you all for ur helpful comments...I still don't get why it's only me she is like this with though? Everyone else she is fine with...happy to sit next to them and cuddle. It's very strange but thank you again x

Rabbits are funny creatures. Flo is currently holding a grudge against me for taking her to the vets for her spay - which was nearly three weeks ago now. She used to run up to me but now prefers to ignore me! Just give her time and she will come around - maybe just sit with her and just let her come up to you/sniff you etc?

Back