• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!! - Female Rabbit just been neutered.

Rusty1985

New Kit
Hello,

I have a 2 year old Lionhead female Rabbit. I had her neutered yesterday afternoon and today I notice she is eating small amounts of hay and dandelion (not eating food pellets) but looking at her compartment where she usually goes to the toilet I notice she hasn't passed anything (for want of a better phrase). It has been almost 24 hours since the operation but I'm a little concerned as Rabbit digestive systems are quite delicate. Any information or advice would be fantastic.

Please tell me im worrying over nothing :shock:

Thank you so much

Russ

You aren't worrying over nothing and well done for checking and worrying. I would speak to your vets asap. Was she given any pain medication for you to give her?

Hello, thanks for your reply. She was given Zantex if she didnt eat yesterday which she seemed to enjoy and I started on the Metcam this morning and will give another dose tonight. She is eating as I mentioned but not alot but I have yet to see any stool produced unless she is doing a magnificent job of hiding it!

Its good she is eating something even if small amounts, however she may need some more pain meds and gut stimulant to get things moving. I would definitely seek vet advice asap. Has she got a water bowl or a bottle? I found my bun would only drink from a bowl when she had her op and its important to keep them hydrated too xxx

Its good she is eating something even if small amounts, however she may need some more pain meds and gut stimulant to get things moving. I would definitely seek vet advice asap. Has she got a water bowl or a bottle? I found my bun would only drink from a bowl when she had her op and its important to keep them hydrated too xxx

She has a bottle but maybe I should try a small bowl of water. Thanks for the advice. Im in work until 5.30 so will see if she has passed anything and il call the vet in the meantime.

Thank you

It could be that she is still in some sort of pain, maybe the metacam dose isn't enough?

It could be many things, best to get her checked xx

My female bun had the op last Friday and she didn't want to eat hay or pellets afterwards but she would eat kale/parsley/celery leaves and other veges. It was a few hours after getting home that she finally did a decent amount of poo in one go (which was a relief) She didn't seem to drink much so I dunked the veges in water for good measure before offering them. She started eating hay and pellets after about 48 hours and by the 3rd day she was scoffing those again too.

Hope she's ok, good luck. Fingers crossed you get back to see she's been.

My female bun had the op last Friday and she didn't want to eat hay or pellets afterwards but she would eat kale/parsley/celery leaves and other veges. It was a few hours after getting home that she finally did a decent amount of poo in one go (which was a relief) She didn't seem to drink much so I dunked the veges in water for good measure before offering them. She started eating hay and pellets after about 48 hours and by the 3rd day she was scoffing those again too.

Hope she's ok, good luck. Fingers crossed you get back to see she's been.

Hi, That's good to know, thank you for that information. I may try some other vegetables and il soak them in water too and fingers crossed she she finally does poo (few words I didnt think I would ever say :shock:)

... and fingers crossed she she finally does poo (few words I didnt think I would ever say :shock:)

lol I know, same here! It's a new world isn't it :)

Good luck for her too at the vets later though if she's not pooed. Bless her furry little heart ;-)

Wonderful! :love: same here!

Really, aww thats nice. Id send a picture of the of him if I could but not sure how too on here :roll: . They need to be in pairs I think and looking forward to getting him from the adoption centre soon, he is being neutered also......all I have done is castrate rabbits over the last few days:shock:

Hi, Never thought Id be so happy when I found Rabbit stool :shock: but she has started to pass her food and eat a bit more so looking quite good now, Thank you :D

Thats great news! :) Hopefully she will start to get back to normal and wonderful news that you are getting her a friend!!

Youll learn we like bunny poos here on RU! I know thats weird but its true!!:lol: If you would like to share some photos you can use a photo sharing site like Photobucket (its free), you upload pics to there and then copy the 'IMG' link into a post here to share it... ps would love to see photos... ;) hehe x

Thats great news! :) Hopefully she will start to get back to normal and wonderful news that you are getting her a friend!!

Youll learn we like bunny poos here on RU! I know thats weird but its true!!:lol: If you would like to share some photos you can use a photo sharing site like Photobucket (its free), you upload pics to there and then copy the 'IMG' link into a post here to share it... ps would love to see photos... ;) hehe x

Hi Chloe,

I think I have done this correctly........he say's. I have put a IMG link below, this is the new arrival "Billy". Hope you like him :Dx

Aww gorgeous!!! :love::love:

Thanks...........and what about the Rabbit :lol:. I wanted the same breed as my current Rabbit and he is only 4 months and is being neutered in the next week so will pick him up in about 6 weeks when they have both calmed down :)

Back