• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant ID Please UD More!

hemlock is huge. I took a picture once with my dad stood next to it and it was taller than him!

Sometimes cow parsley does have a purple stem so it can be confusing. I've never actually cut the stem and checked but the below looks useful

cow%20parsley_hemlock_cross%20section_lr_4x3.jpg

Oh poop, the one I picked looks exactly like the hemlock stem :( Good job I only picked a tiny bit and kept it separate from the rest of the forage.

some good stuff on this page as well http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/wild.html

How to tell the difference - Both poison hemlock and fool's parsley smell nasty; just roll some leaves between your thumb and forefinger, and smell.

Wild carrot, especially the root, smells like (you guessed it) carrots. Also, the stem of the wild carrot is hairy, and the stem of poison hemlock is smooth.
The first year leaves of the carrot on the left and the leaves of Hemlock on the right.

Unrelated to the native evergreen hemlock tree, poison-hemlock can be deadly; it has gained notoriety through its use in the state execution of Socrates.
Poison-hemlock can be confused with wild carrot (Daucus carota, or Queen Anne's Lace), as with many other members of the parsley family that resemble it. While poison hemlock is similar to wild carrot, their differences are numerous. Poison-hemlock has smooth hollow stalks with purple blotches and no hairs on its stems. It can get quite tall, sometimes up to 8 feet or higher. It produces many flower heads in a more open and branching inflorescence. In contrast, wild carrot usually has one red flower in the center of the flower top and is usually about 3 feet tall, or less. Poison hemlock starts growing in the spring time, producing flowers in late spring, while wild carrot produces flowers later in the summer.

have a look again and check as I would be surprised if it's hemlock there isn't much about compared to how much cow parsley there is...you would be very unlucky if you did pick hemlock.:shock:

It does have a furriness to the stem, but no strong smell...

it doesn't smell until it flowers. Keep looking and comparing. If it''s near a road and not by the side of water it's most likely cow parsley. Maybe dig one up next time you go there and see if there is a carrot. You will learn to identify it....it's a bit nervy at first but once you get used to identifying it you will be fine. It just takes a bit of practise

Goosegrass is one of the few I could identify as a kid, we called it sticky willy. A couple of kids asked me what I was doing when out foraging yesterday and found it hilarious when I told them I was picking sticky willy! :lol:

I haven't seen any vetch around here, but maybe some will appear later in the year.

I will take some pics later of the cow parsley I have picked....the stem is hairy so I think it is cow parsley. I would still dig up the carrot next time you go to where you forage just to check. I call it sticky willy as well! People do look strange at me when I'm foraging....they must think I'm a right weirdo :roll:

yes vetch grows later on...the purple and yellow flowered ones I see quite a lot of.

Oh I missed the big daisies as well....they are ok they grow wild quite a lot

hemlock is huge. I took a picture once with my dad stood next to it and it was taller than him!

Sometimes cow parsley does have a purple stem so it can be confusing. I've never actually cut the stem and checked but the below looks useful

cow%20parsley_hemlock_cross%20section_lr_4x3.jpg

That's a useful picture. The corner of the field here is full of what I assume to be parsley but.... Anyhow, I avoid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will take some pics later of the cow parsley I have picked....the stem is hairy so I think it is cow parsley. I would still dig up the carrot next time you go to where you forage just to check. I call it sticky willy as well! People do look strange at me when I'm foraging....they must think I'm a right weirdo :roll:

yes vetch grows later on...the purple and yellow flowered ones I see quite a lot of.

Oh I missed the big daisies as well....they are ok they grow wild quite a lot

I'm going to keep a close eye on this forage land and keep taking photos of plants in their different stages. I guess it's still quite early in the year for a lot of things.

Most people just stare, at least these kids asked! I passed the same kids on the way home and they were still laughing about sticky willy and shouting 'weirdo' at me :lol: Don't all kids chuck sticky willy at each other any more? Maybe that's something I can bring to the children of York :lol:

This is my kitchen at the moment after yesterday's session. There's grass, brambles, dandelions, plantain, hawthorn, herb robert, speedwell, thistle, nettles, dead nettle, goosegrass, yarrow... I think that's everything! I found dog rose too which I identified when I got home, so I can go back for that.

Perhaps I'm not as rubbish at this as I thought looking at that list!

Pretty sure that's honeysuckle, but I thought it was a no for buns? Perhaps it's just the berries then.

I'm going to keep a close eye on this forage land and keep taking photos of plants in their different stages. I guess it's still quite early in the year for a lot of things.

Most people just stare, at least these kids asked! I passed the same kids on the way home and they were still laughing about sticky willy and shouting 'weirdo' at me :lol: Don't all kids chuck sticky willy at each other any more? Maybe that's something I can bring to the children of York :lol:

This is my kitchen at the moment after yesterday's session. There's grass, brambles, dandelions, plantain, hawthorn, herb robert, speedwell, thistle, nettles, dead nettle, goosegrass, yarrow... I think that's everything! I found dog rose too which I identified when I got home, so I can go back for that.

Perhaps I'm not as rubbish at this as I thought looking at that list!

you have picked a lot. I don't bother washing mine but some people do. I can't believe I forgot dog rose :roll: it's one of my favourites. You are doing great...it gets easier and easier. When I'm driving around now I end up noticing all the forage and stopping if I see some good foraging places. I always have a decent bag,box or tub in the car and some scissors.

dogrose2.jpg

Lady Logamorph you are a mine of info. Thank you so much :wave:

My dad works in medicine now but he was a science teacher and botanist....I spent my childhood identifying plants and animals. I was really interested....my brother not so much he just thought we were strange :lol:

The only places I've seen willow are in gardens :(

Washing it all is time consuming and messy, maybe I shouldn't bother. I poked the nettles in the sink with gloves on then forgot and took them out with bare hands! Ouch! :oops:

Pretty sure that's honeysuckle, but I thought it was a no for buns? Perhaps it's just the berries then.

Oh I hope it is, honeysuckle is on the Rabbit Nutrition site as being safe for buns :) http://www.rabbitnutrition.co.uk/page1.html Thanks :)

Just Googled and the flowers are quite distinctive on a honeysuckle, so I should be able to ID it when it flowers.

Makes sense it may be the berries that I was thinking made it a "no". It would be great if it is safe, there's tons of it here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back