• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant IDs please? *PHOTO HEAVY*

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
I've started my foraging for 2016 now. Been getting plenty of cow parsley, dock, dead nettle, and goosegrass especially. However, I want to try and extend my repertoire to give the buns a bit more variety.

I have no idea if any of this is edible, but it's plants that especially caught my eye.

I think this might be Lamium galeobdolon (or a hybrid of it?), but may be wrong:

EDIT: VARIEGATED LAMIUM GALEOBDOLON - SAFE TO FEED
20160415_142846_zpscqqxhjf8.jpg

20160415_142923_zpswpyi6fcr.jpg

There's a LOT of this about near me, it would be excellent if they can have it.

2. Biiig shiny leaves:

DEFINITELY ARUM MALACTULUM (LORDS AND LADIES) - UNSAFE//TOXIC

20160415_143143_zpslj4dm1zh.jpg

3. ARUM - ???

20160415_143219_zpsprpdhpnz.jpg

4. POSSIBLY A GEUM

20160415_143256_zps7bxc5xls.jpg

5. POSSIBLY FORGET-ME-NOT OR SMALL SEEDLINGS OF CAMPION (Forget-me-not is safe, Campion is not)

20160415_144010_zpsdxvtowlh.jpg

6. ??? - CELANDINE?

20160415_150146_zpspsxorutj.jpg

7. Is this early-stage garlic mustard?

EARLY GARLIC MUSTARD - SAFE TO FEED (but I'm waiting til it's older!) (Or Celandine - unsafe) OR HEDGE MUSTARD

20160415_150205_zpskkw42u5p.jpg

HEDGE MUSTARD - ???

20160415_150309_zpsnw8g4gjm.jpg

HONESTY - SAFE TO FEED?

20160415_150333_zpsgswt5sou.jpg

Last edited:
10. Whatever this is, it's a really intriugingly built plant.

HELLEBORE: UNSAFE (but still interesting to look at!)

20160415_150354_zpso03ja1te.jpg

20160415_150358_zpsecafybo2.jpg

20160415_150403_zpspcv9xiof.jpg

11. RIBES - ???

20160415_151607_zpsatfmzisl.jpg

12. BURDOCK - UNSAFE?

20160415_151947_zps8u6ozuk8.jpg

13. MARSH MARIGOLD - DO NOT FEED

20160415_152049_zpsft58jb3e.jpg

14. GRAPE HYACINTH - DO NOT FEED.

20160415_152210_zps4bhraoya.jpg

15. THISTLE-TYPE - SAFE

20160415_152607_zpspsztxi7w.jpg

16. ANOTHER MARSH MARIGOLD? IF SO DO NOT FEED.

20160415_152707_zpsefiiry43.jpg

17. VINCA (PERIWINKLE) - DO NOT FEED

20160415_152845_zpsr56dfm8c.jpg

Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited:
10. ? Some kind of aquilegia

14. Grape hyacinth (from a bulb) often seen on the 'not safe' lists.

17. *Don't know but I've got loads of it so waiting for the answer!!*

I know some of them.

1. Variegated form of Lamium Galeobdolon. We have loads of this and I feed it to my rabbits.
2. Arum Maculatum (Lords and Ladies). I don't feed this. I think it's toxic.
7. Yes, early stage Garlic Mustard. I feed this.
10. Helleborus Foetidus. I don't feed this.
11. Looks like a Flowering Currant (Ribes). "Possibly" OK as I think other fruiting Currants are, but I don't feed it (I leave it for the bees).
13. Looks like Marsh Marigold. I would not feed this.
14. Grape Hyacinth. I would not feed this as it's from a bulb.
16. Looks similar to 13?
17. Vinca (Minor I think). I would not feed this.

Good luck with the rest :)

So glad about #1 having your support Omi! Thank you for the answers so far. It's really helpful, even the unsafe ones as it's just interesting to know.

I fed garlic mustard last year so it's good to see it about again!

1. Dead nettle? Probably OK.
3/4/5 geums?? Probably OK
8. Honesty
10. Hellebore. Don't feed to rabbits.
11. Ribes (flowering currant)
13. celandine??
14. Grape hyacinth. Don't feed to rabbits - it's a bulb. Most things from bulbs are NO.
15. thistle. Probably OK - but mine wouldn't touch it.
17. Vinca (periwinkle) - don't feed to rabbits.

1. Lamium
2. Lamium
3. arum
4. unsure poss a geum?
5. really difficult without being able to see in reality - could be forget me knot or the small seedlings of campion
6. unsure
7. celandine
8. Hedge Mustard
9. Honesty
10. Helebore
11. Ribes
12 Burdock
13.Celandine again or if larger a marsh marigold type?
14 Grape hyacinth
15 thistle type
16 celandine type again?
17 Periwinkle (Vinca)

Thank you ever so much! I tried the quad on the first Lamium this morning and it went down a treat. It's nice being able to give them something different.

5: One of the cransesbills?

6 is celandine and 7 hedge mustard: parsnipbun, have you got some of the numbers mixed up? :)

Thanks for the additions. :) I've written what they are/we think they are next to the pictures and whether or not I think they are safe. Any help (again!) is appreciated.

Number 2 is definitely Lords and Ladies and toxic, I think the early numbering in Twigs' answers is relating to the photos and not the numbers you've put next to them. We have lots of it in the garden and the wild rabbits don't touch it so although it's toxic it's one of those ones that tends not to get eaten anyway. Mind you, I've also got lots of the lamium like your first couple of photos and while it's safe, they don't particularly like it and it tends to get left (the wild bunnies don't eat it either). It also looks like you've got lots of cleavers/sticky willies growing among those plants, I can see lots of that among your photos...bunnies love that stuff!

Number 2 is definitely Lords and Ladies and toxic, I think the early numbering in Twigs' answers is relating to the photos and not the numbers you've put next to them. We have lots of it in the garden and the wild rabbits don't touch it so although it's toxic it's one of those ones that tends not to get eaten anyway. Mind you, I've also got lots of the lamium like your first couple of photos and while it's safe, they don't particularly like it and it tends to get left (the wild bunnies don't eat it either). It also looks like you've got lots of cleavers/sticky willies growing among those plants, I can see lots of that among your photos...bunnies love that stuff!

Haha, you see rabbits can be very fickle :lol: Mine love any type of Lamium and to be fair they eat most things foragey, but all three refuse to eat Cleavers, despite me trying several times.

I've foraged goosegrass/cleavers/sticky weed/sticky willies/whatever the heck you want to call it(!) for a long while. Mine are all nuts for the stuff. And yes, I've been picking it by the bagfull lately. It's probably my main foraged food for them right now. Well, goosegrass, cow parsley, dock, and now Lamium!

Past couple of days, I've met somebody else in the area who keeps and forages for rabbits. I just happened to be foraging when she was walking her dog. She picks cow parsley too, but apparently didn't know the differences (or similarities???) between it and hemlock. :shock: I've told her a few of the similarities - and the key differences - between the two so hopefully she won't make an awful mistake in the future.

Anyway: I seem to have very unfussy bunnies, which is great for me. :) Dead nettle, dock, plantain, Lamian, thistle, goosegrass - virtually anything and everything I forage, it disappears pronto! :lol:

Yes Santa is right - I was responding to images not numbers! Sorry was ate at night after working for a very long time and then giving a talk.

I've foraged goosegrass/cleavers/sticky weed/sticky willies/whatever the heck you want to call it(!) for a long while. Mine are all nuts for the stuff. And yes, I've been picking it by the bagfull lately. It's probably my main foraged food for them right now. Well, goosegrass, cow parsley, dock, and now Lamium!

Past couple of days, I've met somebody else in the area who keeps and forages for rabbits. I just happened to be foraging when she was walking her dog. She picks cow parsley too, but apparently didn't know the differences (or similarities???) between it and hemlock. :shock: I've told her a few of the similarities - and the key differences - between the two so hopefully she won't make an awful mistake in the future.

Anyway: I seem to have very unfussy bunnies, which is great for me. :) Dead nettle, dock, plantain, Lamian, thistle, goosegrass - virtually anything and everything I forage, it disappears pronto! :lol:

Do you also include tree shoots? Mind are particularly enjoying the new Hawthorn and Hazel at the moment.

Do you also include tree shoots? Mind are particularly enjoying the new Hawthorn and Hazel at the moment.

I haven't been - I'm not very good with tree identification :oops: Apart from a few blindingly obvious ones of course (eg. silver birch, willow etc.)

Hawthorn is a great one to identify and feed, and it's just coming into leaf round me now :D

Lovely. :) I'm dogsitting in a month, so will have a different area to forage around when walking Archie. Will probably end up bombarding the forum with more questions then. I know I can get some apple for definite as there's an apple tree on public land there. My OH's family lost their old apple tree too and have cut it into small logs for the bunnies to enjoy. :)

I've run out of fresh forage (have some drying) and can't go get more. Arghh damn migraine with nausea and vomiting. Even worse, it's of my own doing. :( Should avoid those trigger foods.

Back