• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can i help my bereaved Milly?

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
On Friday my bun Harry had to be helped to Rainbow Bridge:cry:His little wife Milly has taken it very hard.She loved him dearly.I brought his body home and Milly sat with him for a couple of hours.I distracted her by putting food down a little way away from him and removed his body.She went to eat some hay and returned to where she was sitting with him before and settled.I think she had understood.
Today she seems so down.Its been a struggle to get her to eat much.I did syringe feed her about 10mls of CC at lunch time just to make sure her gut would keep moving and since then shes had some greens and alittle hay.Shes not moved from the spot apart from to use her litter tray.She is "zoned out"and not very responsive.I need to give her time I know but I feel so sad for her.Is there anything I can try to help her?

On Friday my bun Harry had to be helped to Rainbow Bridge:cry:His little wife Milly has taken it very hard.She loved him dearly.I brought his body home and Milly sat with him for a couple of hours.I distracted her by putting food down a little way away from him and removed his body.She went to eat some hay and returned to where she was sitting with him before and settled.I think she had understood.
Today she seems so down.Its been a struggle to get her to eat much.I did syringe feed her about 10mls of CC at lunch time just to make sure her gut would keep moving and since then shes had some greens and alittle hay.Shes not moved from the spot apart from to use her litter tray.She is "zoned out"and not very responsive.I need to give her time I know but I feel so sad for her.Is there anything I can try to help her?

I have just PM'd you xxxx

I'm so sorry you are both struggling. I don't have any advice, having not been in this situation with rabbits before, only dogs, but I'm thinking of you both and sending hugs for you and vibes and nose rubs for Milly xx

Seeing a Rabbit grieve is so hard :cry: Some Rabbits need to be allowed to be 'quiet' for a day or so and not overly encouraged to 'perk up'. But after a couple of days it is a good idea to try to provide lots of new environmental enrichment to try to re-awaken their zest for life. Obviously it is important to insure that they continue to eat and poo, which I know you are doing.

I have found that 'toys' as simple has empty cereal boxes and kitchen roll cardoard inner tubes stuffed with herby hay are two things that catch the attention of some depressed Rabbits. Also, things like apple twigs strung together and dangled from something to make a hanging toy.

In some cases I have also found that after a few days removing all traces of the deceased Rabbit-shared litter trays,toys,beds etc- from the bereaved Rabbit's environment is necessary. But this is not a 'one size fits all' type of situation, each bereaved Rabbit needs individual types of comfort. What helps one will not necessarily help another.

One hard and fast rule I do always adhere to is the feeding/cleaning routine. Everything being done at the same time and in the same way as usual. This provides the bereaved Rabbit with structure and security in a world which for them has changed a great deal.

((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))) xx

I have had this problem with my Minnie after we lost her partner Bentley. They were devoted to each other. Minnie buried herself in the hay tray and would only venture out briefly. She wouldnt eat much, just a few herbs and only when I actually put them under her nose, she wouldn't come forward for food and she wouldn't eat her pellets. She just looked very depressed and sad.

Jane's advice about new toys etc worked for Minnie, it captured her interest and got her moving about again. I had tried to keep absolutely everything the same, I'd not dared change or move anything in her environment for fear of upsetting her more, but looking back I think this probably wasn't the best thing for me to do. She really did perk up after I had made a few changes and given her new things to investigate.

I really feel for you. It is difficult enough to deal with your own grief, but having to also watch your rabbit grieving is so very hard. Thinking of you and Milly. xx

Thankyou both very much.My head has been in a muddle and I just felt abit helpless but I will try your suggestions.
Milly is a quiet little girl anyway.She isn't a very busy bun at the best of times but I will give her the option to have a little play.This is why their bond was so lovely.He was busy and funny and clownlike which encouraged Milly to be more active than she would otherwise be but then she was a very calming influence on him when he was tired or poorly and needed love and snuggles so the balance was perfect.

Sorry grieving waffle:(

Thankyou both very much.My head has been in a muddle and I just felt abit helpless but I will try your suggestions.
Milly is a quiet little girl anyway.She isn't a very busy bun at the best of times but I will give her the option to have a little play.This is why their bond was so lovely.He was busy and funny and clownlike which encouraged Milly to be more active than she would otherwise be but then she was a very calming influence on him when he was tired or poorly and needed love and snuggles so the balance was perfect.

Sorry grieving waffle:(

I've just responded to your PM ... Your inbox is full at the moment so you'll get it when it's a bit emptier :D

I just want to add a few vibes and cuddles for your darling Milly. Poor wee bub, and I know it must be hard for you too. Please don't worry about posting to help you through it, you have our support. :love: xxxx

Back