• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi

moosea

Young Bun
Hi all,

I might be temporary visitor on here .. might not ;)

I found a rabbit in my garden yesterday - it is a domestic and tame rabbit!
I used to have a Himalayan when i was a child who I took to shows.

Bit of a shock that two responses to my 'FOUND' posters/ posts on internet, neither have been for the rabbit I have found!

Just wanted to ask - when the rabbit thumps his hind feet - what does that mean? Also he makes .... creaking sounds which appear to be when he is playful / happy - is that normal?

Hello, thumping means that the rabbit is sending a warning. They do this when they think they're in danger or if they want you to back off. Rabbits don't tend to be vocal and the creaking sounds you describe could be signs of pain/distress. I'm sorry as this probably wasn't what you want to hear. This link provides more detail on rabbit behaviour http://www.fuzzy-rabbit.com/behaviourfaq.htm
I'm sure some of the more experienced rabbit owners on this forum will be able to comment / help.
In the meantime have you provided the rabbit with somewhere to hide - like a cardboard box- that they can go into out of their own choice? This could help them feel a bit safer.

Hi Sarahbun, Yes he has a cardboard box with a hole cut into it. I've filled it with straw - he does use it :) My friend who has rabbits has suggested that the 'creaking' is actually tooth grinding? He only does it when he is having his nose rubbed a certain way. But I will monitor him just in case.

Are there any reputable rabbit rescuse local to Birmingham as I cannot keep him long term. I have 'phoned local rescue centers who have a waiting list of 3 months! I've had a few people on faceboook offer to take him but I will only let him go to owner - if they provide proof of ownership, or a 'proper' rescue.

Hello,

The tooth grinding, if only done when he's having his nose rubbed, is probably a sign of happiness. It's not always a bad thing - some people call it 'purring'.

As for the rabbit rescues - yes, a lot of rescues are full to the brim sadly :( I don't know any rescues round Birmingham as I don't live there, however we have a Rabbits In Need section on here. If the worst comes to the worst and you need 'it' rehomed ASAP, you can PM SOAD (a moderator on here) and get bunny listed in the RIN section for rehoming. It might be worth getting 'it' checked by a vet, just to confirm its gender or if it's neutered or not, as that'll obviously help the rehoming process! And there is a slight chance that bunny may be microchipped (a few are) in which case getting it checked by a vet may well reunite it with its owner! I don't like calling bunny 'it', but I don't know the gender - sorry!

ok ... so is there an antidote to rabbit addiction???? :D

He is just so cute!!! I have had my hands thoroughly licked clean!

Do rabbits need dust baths? I have been grooming him gently with a soft brush and used a comb to start to tease out some of the matted fur under his chin.

How often should he go out in the garden? I've taken him out for around 15 mins today as I don't have a proper run made yet. I had to use spare chicken wire to 'fence an area for him. I took his cardboard house out for him to hide in if he got frightened ... but he didn't , he just ran around and rubbed his chin on everything!!!

I am going to visit my very handy father later to discuss building a run for him. Is it healthier for rabbits to live indoors or outdoors? He seems to really like the company of being inside.
I am also going to ask my dad about building him a hutch - he is currently housed in an extra large dog crate. Would this be ok longer term?

Also , I was going to put in some branches but am not sure what is poisonous and what is not .... off to research this !

ok ... so is there an antidote to rabbit addiction???? :D

He is just so cute!!! I have had my hands thoroughly licked clean!

Do rabbits need dust baths? I have been grooming him gently with a soft brush and used a comb to start to tease out some of the matted fur under his chin.

How often should he go out in the garden? I've taken him out for around 15 mins today as I don't have a proper run made yet. I had to use spare chicken wire to 'fence an area for him. I took his cardboard house out for him to hide in if he got frightened ... but he didn't , he just ran around and rubbed his chin on everything!!!

I am going to visit my very handy father later to discuss building a run for him. Is it healthier for rabbits to live indoors or outdoors? He seems to really like the company of being inside.
I am also going to ask my dad about building him a hutch - he is currently housed in an extra large dog crate. Would this be ok longer term?

Also , I was going to put in some branches but am not sure what is poisonous and what is not .... off to research this !

So will you be keeping this little bunny? :D

No. Rabbits don't need dust baths. When you say the fur is matted, does it seem wet? Or just tangled? If it's wet then it can be indicative of dental problems, so would need a vet check-up.

He can go out in the garden every day (unless it's bad weather) if he lives inside, except in winter. When the temperature difference is high - i.e putting him out of a heated room and into a windy garden - that's not ideal conditions for him to go out into, as it can cause health problems. But when the temperature inside is the same as outside, or even if it's slightly colder in than out, then he can go outside. You can buy runs online for decent prices - it needs to be a good size, though. Definitely not one of those triangular ones, they're teeny tiny. There'll be some good runs on here if you look at various housing examples or just search the forum. Obviously, by all means, let your father build one, but sometimes it's just easier to buy one! The main thing it is big, and NOT using chicken-wire. Foxes get through that in seconds and it's not durable at all. You want proper mesh.

Living outside isn't necessarily healthier than living in. There are various factors you'll need to take into account, however. For example: predators. Are there foxes and cats around you? If so, then it'd be safer having him indoors. Company is another factor - rabbits ideally need at least one other rabbit companion whether they're living in or out, but it's more important when they're outside as obviously being indoors means they get your company!

My rabbit lives indoors, but he used to live outside when he was bonded (he's single now). I much prefer him being inside, as I don't have to worry about him so much! And going outside in the cold, muddy and rainy garden was not pleasant in winter :(

If you're going to be keeping him indoors for more than a few days, a dog crate is too small really. Don't go for one of those pet-shop plastic cages: they're absolutely tiny and way, way below the minimum for rabbits. I personally keep my bunny in a dog crate with a puppy pen attached. The crate door is permanently open and he gets to roam around the room in the day, shut in the pen/crate at night.

What are you feeding bunny? Have you checked whether it's a male or female? If you're keeping him, he'll need vaccinating and neutering if he's not already done.

Again, if you are going to be keeping him, I'd STRONGLY recommend getting him insured ASAP. Insurers generally have a two week exclusion period at the start of the policy where you cannot claim for anything, but other than that they're a life-saver for me - literally. I'd get it done sooner rather than later so if any problems crop up within the next few weeks you have a chance of claiming for them!

Imagine his luck at finding his way into your garden; maybe he's chosen you? He's certainly a very cute little guy! Don't think there's any cure for bunny addiction - best just to embrace it [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So will you be keeping this little bunny?
Maybe .... just until a rescue spot comes up .....

No. Rabbits don't need dust baths. When you say the fur is matted, does it seem wet? Or just tangled? If it's wet then it can be indicative of dental problems, so would need a vet check-up.
The fur is not wet - it is just a mass of tiny dry matts

He can go out in the garden every day (unless it's bad weather) if he lives inside, except in winter. When the temperature difference is high - i.e putting him out of a heated room and into a windy garden - that's not ideal conditions for him to go out into, as it can cause health problems. But when the temperature inside is the same as outside, or even if it's slightly colder in than out, then he can go outside. You can buy runs online for decent prices - it needs to be a good size, though. Definitely not one of those triangular ones, they're teeny tiny. There'll be some good runs on here if you look at various housing examples or just search the forum. Obviously, by all means, let your father build one, but sometimes it's just easier to buy one! The main thing it is big, and NOT using chicken-wire. Foxes get through that in seconds and it's not durable at all. You want proper mesh.
My dad is pretty good - he built the rabbit runs when my mother and I used to show - it was many years ago - but I'm sure it will all come back to him :p

Living outside isn't necessarily healthier than living in. There are various factors you'll need to take into account, however. For example: predators. Are there foxes and cats around you? If so, then it'd be safer having him indoors. Company is another factor - rabbits ideally need at least one other rabbit companion whether they're living in or out, but it's more important when they're outside as obviously being indoors means they get your company!
We have lots of cats and foxes around - indoors it is then!

My rabbit lives indoors, but he used to live outside when he was bonded (he's single now). I much prefer him being inside, as I don't have to worry about him so much! And going outside in the cold, muddy and rainy garden was not pleasant in winter

If you're going to be keeping him indoors for more than a few days, a dog crate is too small really. Don't go for one of those pet-shop plastic cages: they're absolutely tiny and way, way below the minimum for rabbits. I personally keep my bunny in a dog crate with a puppy pen attached. The crate door is permanently open and he gets to roam around the room in the day, shut in the pen/crate at night.
He comes out whenever I am home and has the run of the room I am in

What are you feeding bunny? Have you checked whether it's a male or female? If you're keeping him, he'll need vaccinating and neutering if he's not already done.
I am feeding him a rabbit mix, free access to meadow hay and have given him straw as bedding. Is that ok? He has had a little bit of carrot - but I don't want to give him too much as I don't know what he has been fed before. Have also tried a little bit of apple - he not so keen on that! Am going shopping this afternoon - broccoli? parsnips? Cabbage leaves? cauliflower? I'm currently not working - due to start again Monday so will get him to the vet end of next week to have him checked and vaccinated- just myxamatosis? ( sp) I have not yet checked his/ her sex but will do that this week. I didn't want to terrify him!

Again, if you are going to be keeping him, I'd STRONGLY recommend getting him insured ASAP. Insurers generally have a two week exclusion period at the start of the policy where you cannot claim for anything, but other than that they're a life-saver for me - literally. I'd get it done sooner rather than later so if any problems crop up within the next few weeks you have a chance of claiming for them!

Again something for the first weeks wages!

Last edited:
It sounds like you're doing everything right! I'd be surprised if you decide to let him go - they're addictive little creatures ;) Obviously if you're not keeping him then there's no need to insure him, but I cannot stress how much money it's saved me! Same goes for neutering.

As for vaccinations, there's two diseases: Myxomatosis and VHD. Both of these are combined into one jab, which is handy, and it only needs doing once a year.

When you say rabbit mix, do you mean the muesli? It's recommended to feed pellets ideally, as that eliminates the selective feeding aspect - some rabbits only eat certain bits of muesli! If you're feeding muesli and choose to change to pellets, it needs to be done slowly - sort of add a few pellets in one day, increase the next etc etc etc until there's all pellets there.

You're right about not giving him too much carrot. Quite a few things are toxic/can cause serious problems to rabbits, so it's worth a google to find out what you should and shouldn't feed. I give my bunny spring greens and broccoli regularly, as well as parsley/dandelion/dill etc. Basically green things! I don't give him loads of fruit and veg, more plants, as I just feel it's more natural.

The hay is great - it's the most important aspect of a bunny's diet. They should be eating pretty much constantly, and ideally have nice big, golden poos! It's mixed on whether to give straw for bedding as some eat it and it could cause problems. Personally I use hay. Don't use wood shavings, they're not good and can cause health problems. I use non-clumping cat litter in my rabbit's litter tray, then hay on the floor of his dog crate.

You certainly sound like you're on the right track! Has he got a name yet?

I got my rabbit an indoor age from pets at home but it's only closed when I'm not supervising but as of yet he hasn't shown any interest of leaving it. He seems most relaxed and happy and could easily jump out if he wants. Your rescue bunny is lovely. Maybe you should keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has no name yet - I just call him 'bun'

Thought I might call him Warren if he is a boy, and .... probably just bun if she is a girl! If I was to keep him of course * cough* :lol:

Yes I am feeding the mix type food - again I wasn't planning on getting a rabbit so am doing lots of research on food. When I had rabbits previously I was only about 8 so things have changed a lot! Will look into pellets.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :thumb: I think this bunny has chosen you :thumb: and s/he has chosen well as you clearly care a lot for him/her :thumb:

The training is going very well - things learnt so far ;

1) DO NOT , ever , stop stroking the bun!
2)Come to call - the bunny has trained me to come rushing to his crate and get him out if he digs lots!
3) If I need to put him down for any reason ever then he MUST go in his crate with something .... It is not important what it is - fresh hay, carrot or his ball - he cannot be alone!!!!

Bunny will have me fully trained in no time!!!!! haha!!!

So just a quick update.

I have tried very hard to de - rabbit myself and failed. I had a couple of people interested in taking him ( yes I finally got him sexed!) but one was not suitable and the other never got back in touch... so I guess I am a rabbit owner :?

So far the house training is going well - few accidents here and there but not a problem.
The vet thinks he is about 8 months old... and as he has now almost doubled in size I'm beginning to suspect that he is not a dwarf breed!!!
We have settled into a routine. I get up and am slave to rabbit for the entire time I am home!!! I've started to let him out for lots of shorter periods - around an hour at a time - as I was having issues with him going crazy when I put him back in. Breaking the time he is out into smaller chunks and putting nice things into his crate for him when he goes back in seems to be working better for him.
He now has a temporary outdoor run - it is an old chicken run - covered at one end and rigid wire panels. Am hoping to upgrade his outdoor space for summer.

I am managing to get him to eat more hay now. At first he would not eat it at all so I mixed it with fresh, hand picked grass to tempt him! ( he's not spoiled, honestly!)

He still has no name, although a friends son thinks he should be called 'toothless' after a dragon in a film!

Will post up more pictures of him soon.

Thank you all for all your help so far :)

What a lovely story to read! I think you are very lucky that you find each other. Keep having fun and sharing your progress xx

Quick update!

Am fully addicted! Have named him Dandylion. He's stopped chewing the carpets too much. has me well trained now!

2015-05-12%2018.50.19.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back