• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Housing

Zam

Young Bun
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping for a bit of advice and any recommendations please for my bunnies winter housing.
I live in Wellington, NZ so we are just approaching Autumn.
It rarely gets to below freezing where we live but we got incredibly strong winds through Winter and Spring.
I've had my bunnies since last spring and they have always lived outside with two double storey hutches to share and a permanently attached run of 9ft by 6ft that they have constant access to (all predator proof and I don't shut them in the hutch at night)
During the winter I'm worried it will be too cold and windy for them outside but I'm limited on space and my OH doesn't want them in the house :(
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have a space under my house, it's tall enough to stand up in and a few metres wide. Would I be able to make this liveable for them, or would it be too dark and dusty?
As they are used to having lots of space I don't want to restrict them to just a hutch at any time. I have a few months to set something up but if anyone has any ideas or tips I'd love to hear them.

Thankyou!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you could make wooden shutters to cover over the mesh parts of the hutch and then cut a small hole in the bottom for them to come and go into the run, it should make the hutch warmer and protect from the wind. You can then really stuff it full of hay for them to snuggle right into. If you could take a picture of the space under your house maybe we could make some suggestions ?

Thanks EBM, shutters is a great idea, I will take some photos of the space and post them soon. Has anyone used Snuggle safes, would you recommend them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back