• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to Free-Roam

cocoapuff

New Kit
My bunny has been cage-bound for the most part (obviously I take him out and play with him, etc…), but I have just moved to a new apartment and I am interested in having him free-roam. The reason he hasn't been before is because there were cats wandering around (who would attempt to eat him). He's about 1yr 1/2 old… is the transition going to be easy for him? Or is there any advice you could give me in how to best approach this?
Thanks!:D

You will need to make sure that the area is completely rabbit safe, so wires need to be out of reach/guarded, house plants need to be well out of the way, even if they are on a shelf they can drop seeds/flowers/leaves and some can be poisonous. I'm sure he will love all the freedom. You may find that he poops on the floor marking territory at first, I would make sure there is at least one litter tray with hay in each room at first, and maybe let him have access to one room at a time. If you sweep up poops regularly and pop them into the litter trays it should subside quickly. Watch out for him chewing furniture!

All I can add is that you will love having him freerange, you get such a lovely relationship with a rabbit who is free to show their natural personality :)

You may have to cover any wooden furniture with plastic edges. I have to do this for my room where my buns have free range. Also be careful about where he can get to. Behind the fridge, behind the couch and behind the telly are favourites for bunnies! :roll:

I'd start with a small space and build up gradually, so maybe limit him to one room - baby stair gates are good for this. If you've got big/open plan rooms you might find a puppy pen handy so you can use it to pen off an area (they can be unhooked into a line). That way he can explore gradually without getting too overwhelmed and you can monitor/bunny proof in stages :)

Sometimes a lot of space all at once can be a bit daunting so letting him hop out of the cage in his own time and have access to go back in when he wants will make him more relaxed.

It's great having a free range bunny :) As others have said, you will need to make sure you fully rabbit proof and try and identify as many potential hazards as you can (especially house plants and exposed wires). Scrappy has the run of the whole flat and I do like the fact that she can come and go as she pleases. You'll also have more space to put things like tunnels, dig boxes, hidey holes and other toys so your bun will have plenty to keep him/herself entertained :)

I wish my bunnies could be free-range house buns!

Just about the chewing thing... you can get chew-stopper spray, which might help with that if it becomes an issue. Or, I used lemon juice when Mycroft was chewing his tunnels, and he stopped immediately! Although I got quite the dirty look. Also- it smells nice to us humans!

Back