• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

temporary housing for bunny shed renovation

echolouise

Young Bun
Hi there, I am new to this site and in need of advice.
Our bunny shed is in need of some major renovation after this winter and I have a joiner coming in just over a week to carry out the work. As the shed is in need of both a new roof and a new floor it will need to come down entirely. We have purchased a second shed and the joiner will be erecting both sheds facing each other with a walk in run between them, the new roof will extend over the entire 2 sheds and run. The problem is what to do with our bun mia whilst the work is going on. The joiner has requested that she is nowhere near the rabbit garden whilst he is working (he has carried out small jobs in the rabbit garden before and she is a little too nosey for it to be safe). We also need to have the old bunny shed dismantled the day before he arrives (this is a financial issue for us as we can't afford to pay him for the "unskilled" part of the job). Putting up a shed for her ourselves is not an option as I believe the reason it has so many problems after the winter is because we messed it up to begin with.
Mia cannot come into the house as we have a cat and he is very territorial. The joiner has agreed to have the first shed errected as quickly as possible so that she can be back in safely before the work is completed but this still looks like at least a day and a night without her home.

So my question... as it is January and I live fairly far north in Scotland would the following be acceptable for one possibly 2 days?
I have a large 10x8 empty greenhouse with an opening window I could leave open. Could I put her hay hutch bed ( similar to the one sold by runaround) and her litter tray and food, toys etc. I could leave the door half open and cover with mesh. Is this a safe option?

This may turn out to be a very stupid idea but please rest assured that when it comes to the safety and care of my animals, I would never act on any idea without checking first, I don't want anybody to think that I am one of those irresponsible owners. I am looking for a way to not have to put her into one of those horrible shop bought hutches for 2 days without access to a garden for excersise.
Thank you, elouise.

It sounds like you've really thought about it and her welfare will come first. We all have things that we need to work around and there's always going to be times that our rabbits are going to have to work around us but I think your plan sounds like a good one.

What temperature is it up there? Is the temperature in the greenhouse wildly different? I have no idea what the temperature in a greenhouse might be in the winter... does it still remain significantly warmer than outside, even when it's in the winter? As long as the greenhouse is safe and secure, and the temperature isn't too different (bearing in mind that the temperature fluctuates a lot itself, so a decent temperature difference can be easily tolerated) then I can't see anything wrong with putting her in there for a couple of days. She'll have the hay hutch thingie to be nice and cosy in along with all her belongings and lots of space. A most importantly she'll be out of harms way!

If you're concerned about the greenhouse itself you could pop up a pic up for us? Some extra eyes checking over it might help allay your fears in case there's anything you may have missed security wise! I would think leaving the window open could potentially be dangerous unless it's tiny and/or meshed over, just in case a cat or fox wants to get in. But other than that and the temperature difference I can't see any harm in housing her in a greenhouse for a day or two :)

Hi there, than you for the quick reply. I'm not so worried about the greenhouse itself,there are wooden boards for the first foot on the walls and then glass. There are metal bars covering where the wood joins the glass so there are no sharp edges. She has never kicked the Windows in her shed before so I can't imagine she would start now ( although for safety sake I guess it couldn't be ruled out).
The floor is a dirt floor with moveable deck tiles as a path. Mia is a prolific tunneler due to her relatively free range lifestyle since she was 6 months old (free access to secured garden 365 days a year and only locked in the shed and run at night). The greenhouse is built on a very steep hill so the foundation wall it sits on goes down underground 1.5ft on one side and 3ft on the other- I doubt she will get out even if she tunnels quickly overnight.
Temperature is my biggest worry, I tend to forget the greenhouse even exists in the winter! I went out looking for the thermometer but it looks like one of the kids has absconded with it- it was however cold inside. I would imagine that due to the purpose of a greenhouse then if it is cold inside then it is colder in her shed...
I know I will need to mesh over And at least partially open the door because heaven forbid the sun comes out in the morning and the temperature starts to rise. The window is on the roof and you can choose how much it opens so I can open it just a couple of inches.
It just feels a little bit crazy.
Thank you for being so understanding, I was feeling like I had let her down by being so unprepared but all of our money is going into fixing up the bunny shed and the thought of putting her into a glorified cage for even a short period just sickens me.
If you or anybody else can think of any hazards I may have overlooked or any solutions I may have missed I would be very gratefull
Thanks, elouise

I think this time of year a greenhouse would be fine. Even if the sun comes out I don't think you are going to reach the temperatures that she'd cope fine with in summer outside. If you are worried about that, you could pop a sheet over part of the roof and that will cut the light down and stop it warming up.

My concern would be security - I'd be a bit cautious about the window - make sure that nothing can stick their head in and wiggle it open enough to get in. May add some mesh over the gap. Obviously you need some ventilation but just make sure any changes you make to the door etc. are very secure.

Letting her explore it between now and then would help her feel more relaxed about spending time in there and give you the opportunity to watch and see if she gets up to any trouble you hadn't foreseen :)

Mia moved into the greenhouse yesterday and absolutely loves it. Her bunny shed was dismantled this morning ready for being rebuilt. She shared the shed with her bonded buddy Millie until about a month ago when Millie sadly passed away. I think the temporary change of scenery is actually helping mia to move on. Yesterday was the first time since Millie passed that mia has been open to playing and has been interested in her surroundings.

Sounds like you were worrying needlessly.....the life of a bunny mum!

Hope she likes her newly renovated pad and doesn't just want to stay in the green house.

That's great, I'm pleased to hear she's been fine with the change - I hope the new build goes well :)

Back