• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to train a rabbit to use a litter tray

Jennas

New Kit
How to train a rabbit to use a litter tray
Hello, I used to have rabbits when I was younger but. Never bearded of litter training a rabbit. We are picking three little girls up next week they are 8 weeks old and we want to litter train them . Will it be the same as cats by keeping a bit of there scent in the litter tray. Also what should I put in the litter tray ie cat litter or just newspaper.Any help will be great.

Hiya... welcome
It's easier to litter train once they are spayed it has to be said.

I found that several trays filled with newspaper and hay placed where they usually 'go' might be helpful with a little bit of 'soiled hay.

They usually poo and pee where they are eating.

Good luck, it might take a Long time x

Ditto to the above. Place a litter tray in the place they normally do all their pees and poos and make sure you fill it with their favourite hay (they love to poo and chew) plus a handful of dirty litter or their bunny currants (so that it smells 'right' to them). They should hopefully use the tray. Once they're using it regularly, you can try to gradually move it to where YOU want it, although bunny/ies may have other ideas :roll::lol:.

I agree with the above, also if you can sweep up
Poops as often as possible, and mop up wees and neutralise where they have weed on the floor with diluted vinegar it will help. Also not having bedding on the floor helps :thumb:

Thanks to all your replys I get her next week and she is only 8 weeks old I can't wait. Just getting everything sorted out for her.

Well theres lots of info on here so stick around.. We want piccies of her at home!!!
Fee x

Well theres lots of info on here so stick around.. We want piccies of her at home!!!
Fee x

I will post some nice pictures up. I can't belive how addictive this. We have water turtles an iguana , bearded dragons and snakes and I love them all, but since getting our buns I am hooked lol.

Is she still with her mother? Taking a large handful of soiled bedding from her old home and putting it in her litter tray in her new one so it smells familiar and makes her think 'there's the loo' may help. I did it with mine after reading it on here and I only had a handful of accidents and none at all outside of the pen, it was really straightforward.

Back