• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not getting better from ileus

I thought we had some signs of improvement with eating last night and then he nibbled a tiny bit of carrot this morning and some hay. We went out for a couple to visit family and came home to him hunched up again. :( more meds and a syringe feed. I have to go back to work on Monday

I thought we had some signs of improvement with eating last night and then he nibbled a tiny bit of carrot this morning and some hay. We went out for a couple to visit family and came home to him hunched up again. :( more meds and a syringe feed. I have to go back to work on Monday

What is his output like ? I assume that the Vet has checked that Dental problems are not involved ?

What is his output like ? I assume that the Vet has checked that Dental problems are not involved ?

He definitely went to the toilet this morning but I cant be certain since and certainly not since we got back at 430. He has some dental spurs on his molars but the vet said there was no soft tissue damage so was prob not his teeth. :(

He definitely went to the toilet this morning but I cant be certain since and certainly not since we got back at 430. He has some dental spurs on his molars but the vet said there was no soft tissue damage so was prob not his teeth. :(

Some Rabbits are more sensitive to spurs than others and they will stop eating with just minor problems not involving any actual soft tissue damage. Can you get him back to a Vet tomorrow to be re-assessed ?

I agree with Jane, some of my buns have been sensitive to small spurs which had been dismissed previously only to have them admitted a week or so later insisting on a dental and they have then been OK.

I hope he feels better soon.

I tend to try and temps them with some herbs etc to eat as if it is his teeth then he may find hay difficult to eat and something in their tummy is better if they have to have a GA (along with Critical care). Oxbow critical care is better tasting than some of the others I think. Try different consistencies too. I used to have a bun who loved it and it made such a difference to his recovery.

We have to go back tomorrow. Has def eaten his soft poop and looked like he went for a wee and has passed some small poos.

He is still ignoring hay has had 20ml of syringe food at 530 and nibbled the corner of a cardboard box. :(

Do you have any other food you can tempt him with. Hay is sometimes one of the last things they will eat if they have a sore mouth. Have you tried softening the pellets as suggested earlier. Again, maybe try some different textures, some of the blackberry leaves etc.

Do you have any other food you can tempt him with. Hay is sometimes one of the last things they will eat if they have a sore mouth. Have you tried softening the pellets as suggested earlier. Again, maybe try some different textures, some of the blackberry leaves etc.

Weve tried but he still refuses. He swallowed the 20mls of critical care though earlier. In the past when syringing him, he will spit it out.

It's not easy when they don't want to take it. Has he had some painkiller.

He had his metacam this morning. I dont know how much longer I can afford to treat him. He cost £450 last week with being at the vets and medications etc. We changed insurer and arent covered for another 5 weeks so this is all coming out of my savings. I dont have that much to start with. I also have no holiday left and need to go back to work next week.

insurance covered from 14 days! get in!!!!!

Will call them in the morning!

He on the other hand is playing nip his friend on the bum and chase her under the bed. I think this may mean he feels a bit more lively. :roll:

He nibbled a strand of hay but still no to anything else on his own :(

I really hope he improves and starts eating properly. What a shame he's been poorly over Christmas :( Get well soon little bun xx

insurance covered from 14 days! get in!!!!!

Will call them in the morning!

He on the other hand is playing nip his friend on the bum and chase her under the bed. I think this may mean he feels a bit more lively. :roll:

He nibbled a strand of hay but still no to anything else on his own :(

I know how scary it is when vet's cost mount up without insurance :shock: Glad your insurance will help from now on ...

I hope things begin to improve ...... x

My vet and I have treated illius with success many times, but not always. The most important items are: fluids, pain management, and syringe feeding them if necessary. Now they have a commercially available product called Oxbow critical care which is like ground up rabbit pellets with extra nutrients which you mix with water and feed them with a large oral syringe. I also have used a coffee grinder to grind up rabbit pellets to a fine consistency to mix with water, but it does tend to be harder to get through the oral syringe since it does not have the same consistency. I also have used prescription Reglan to stimulate gut motility, altough not everyone believes it helps. Even with syringe feeding it may take a couple days to see poop.

I use the same brand of rabbit pellets all the time and when I open a 'fresh' bag from a different batch I mix in some of the older bag.

My vet and I have treated illius with success many times, but not always. The most important items are: fluids, pain management, and syringe feeding them if necessary. Now they have a commercially available product called Oxbow critical care which is like ground up rabbit pellets with extra nutrients which you mix with water and feed them with a large oral syringe. I also have used a coffee grinder to grind up rabbit pellets to a fine consistency to mix with water, but it does tend to be harder to get through the oral syringe since it does not have the same consistency. I also have used prescription Reglan to stimulate gut motility, altough not everyone believes it helps. Even with syringe feeding it may take a couple days to see poop.

I use the same brand of rabbit pellets all the time and when I open a 'fresh' bag from a different batch I mix in some of the older bag.

Thank you for replying. That's all useful to know. :)

Vet update: he is booked for a dental on Monday. She said he has spurs but no damage in his mouth. His tummy is full and didn't feel gassy but he has had critical care and hay this morning.

He has only lost lot a tiny bit of weight too.

He is taking treats when offered (I was giving his friend a treat and he ran up) but spat it on te carpet. He has eaten carrot tops his morning and been in the litter tray.

They said about doing blood tests Monday when lab is open again. His temperature was fine and no signs of fever and he is alert (well he is alder onion his box now).

Crossing my fingers for dental to fix the issue. :( I just want him better!

Good luck on monday. Would he be interested in a bit of grass? Brambles are good too (as Jane suggested).

Back