• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside to Inside

Simon_85

New Kit
I am buying a rabbit for my wife [after years of asking for one].

The rabbit that I have chosen is a Dwarf Lop Buck. It is litter trained but currently lives outside. My wife would want it to live inside so I was just wondering if I need to do anything in particular to help him settle inside. Do I need to reduce the temperature of the room etc.?

I apologise for my vagueness. I have never owned a rabbit before and want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Simon

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum :)

Don't apologise, owning a bunny is a steep learning curve at first so please do ask any questions you have.

Yes it is fine for an outside bunny to come indoors, but do make sure the room isn't too warm and make sure he can get away from the radiators. You'll probably find that he moults a lot in the first few weeks whlst he loses his winter coat, so make sure to brush him and that he is eating lots of hay to support his digestive system.

The difficulty comes when taking an inside bunny outdoors, as this can be very dangerous for them, so do make sure you are prepared to keep him inside till at least April, as once he is inside he won't be able to go out again. It's important that he has enough space to exercise inside, as he wont be able to use an outdoor run till spring. Most people allow their rabbits 'free range' time to exercise which is simply letting them run about the room/house, but do make sure you cover or block off any wires first, as bunnies love to bite through them.

P.S as its Christmas soon, please remember evergreen plants like Christmas trees are poisonous to rabbits.

Back