• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

male in pair becoming aggressive

lou bear

New Kit
Hello all. I adopted a pair of rabbits a couple of months ago. Just under 1 year old. A male and female. Both neutered. Got them because they were friendly, outgoing and curious. The male started to become aggressive. Only in as much averaging and plucking at clothes. I read up a bit and saw that it is often when they feel you are in their way. So I was conscious of where I sat and it got a little better.

Since then he has started to go out of his way to pluck at my clothes again and only once or twice nip at my hand. They have moved rooms so it could be a territory thing again but thought I would put it up here. First time that I have had rabbits and so really a beginner. Starting to read up on them and how they communicate but don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, the girl is really affectionate whereas he is more playful and adventurous. Don't know really how to play and interact that way with a rabbit other than providing toys. So the female does get more attention than the male.

Looking forward to your responses.

Lou Bear

I think it's great you're trying to understand them better - they can be a bit of a puzzle sometimes.

The nipping does sound more like telling you to move rather than aggression. Rabbits have a thick layer of fluff so a nip to a fellow bunny is a bit softer compared to a nip to human skin.

I would be careful to try and not react/do what he wants, otherwise he'll nip more in future because it gets what he wants. Some people also try letting out a yip/squeal when it happens to show it hurts.

He sounds like quite a clever rabbit so you could do some training to bond/play with him more. It can be anything you like, teach him to jump on a box on command, or over jumps or beg or come when called. They can be clicker trained like a dog. You might find that a little more time interacting and he'll be more keen on some grooming/stroking for interaction as well.

I think it's because you are in his territory. Try not to notice what he is doing, perhaps wear boots so he can't nip your ankles, etc. This might work. I tend to shout at any so they "know" who is really boss, :D Good luck.

Hello. Thanks for your help. Started to do a little bit of training with him and he barely ever plucks. He has become my shadow as well now following me around. Thanks again for your advice!!

Hello. Thanks for your help. Started to do a little bit of training with him and he barely ever plucks. He has become my shadow as well now following me around. Thanks again for your advice!!

What a great result. Sounds like its worked well for both of you.

Back