• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need to join weld mesh onto the top of an indoor rabbit cage - help appreciated

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
My hamster (one of three syrians that I have) Pearl is VERY lively and somewhat hand shy. I want to give her a nice big cage so I am going to use an old indoor guinea pig cage that I bought ages ago.

It has the usual big thick widely spaced bars on the top and a nice deep plastic base.

I need an easy strong way to join weld mesh to the metal cage top so that Pearl doesnt escape ...

Any ideas would be welcome.

I looked at jclips but dont think that they would be be big enough.

Cable ties are sooo chewable by small rodent teethies ... HELP

You can can metal cable ties :)

Or you could wind wire around the the bars/mesh like a long spring to hold them together.

You can can metal cable ties :)

Or you could wind wire around the the bars/mesh like a long spring to hold them together.
A decent pair of needle pliers will help with this: jewellery pliers would be suitable. You can get stiff wire from old calendars or other wire-spiral-bound things :) I would say that wire food ties (the plastic or paper coated ones for going round food bags) would be chewed through too easily, but the plastic-coated ones that come with electrical goods may be OK as they're usually thicker.

Pearl is very happy in her new cage. She has climbed all over the bars and not chewed them at all!!!

She has burrowed into the nice deep fitch substrate and has already got a nice little stash of food.

Woodstock has gone into the mary rat cage that Pearl has vaccated and he is delighted. Plenty of rumaging in his fitch substrate and a good old dash round on his large wooden wheel.

Harvest is in her same old rabbit hutch. She has got an old dog biscuit bag with fitchin to explore so that she doesnt feel left out.

Looking forward to a nice peaceful night's sleep (guilt free) with no more bar chomping.

Back