• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hormonal rabbits have fallen out but too young for neutering... :(

Hello!

A couple of weeks back I bought two male rabbits that have been housed together from very young and they are thought to now be about 11 weeks old.

Up until yesterday they have been grooming and snuggling each other. Last night and today they have started trying to mount each other, sniffing or biting each others genitals and chinning everything in sight. I had to break up quite a bad fight so last night i seperated them into different rooms. I went into the vets this morning to ask if they could be neutered yet and they said that until they are 1kg and 4 months old that it cant be done.

It looks to me like they have gone into puberty but theres still going to be almost 2 months until they are able to be neutered. Is there anything I can do to try and get them to be friends again or is it just a case of keeping them separated until they are able to be neutered? What are the chances of them starting to get along after they're neutered?

Its heartbreaking to see them so angry :(. I'm keeping them both as house rabbits so keeping them apart for 2 months seems like its going to be a very difficult task.

Thank you for any help you might be able to offer.

Not really, sadly this often happens with un-neutered rabbits. Trying to bond them before they've been neutered will probably just result in more fights as they've hit sexual maturity.

A lot of people have successfully bonded two neutered males, as long as you follow the 'rules' for bonding, they hopefully will re-bond.

ETA: you have to wait a while after they've been neutered for the hormones to die down too. I think it's 8 weeks but someone more experienced on that will come along and advise I'm sure (I only have experience of adopting ready made neutered pairs from rescue)

Back