• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really unhappy with new run

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I bought a new run a month ago, it was advertised as pretreated with an animal friendly preservative, which would need repainting once a year to protect the wood.

After a week of rain, it's now black with mildew. I'm going to struggle to get it painted now in this weather, and don't have a spare £100 or so to replace it (I had to scrape together the money in the first place).

Sorry to moan, I just feel like I've wasted a lot of money that I really don't have to spare! :(

I bought a new run a month ago, it was advertised as pretreated with an animal friendly preservative, which would need repainting once a year to protect the wood.

After a week of rain, it's now black with mildew. I'm going to struggle to get it painted now in this weather, and don't have a spare £100 or so to replace it (I had to scrape together the money in the first place).

Sorry to moan, I just feel like I've wasted a lot of money that I really don't have to spare! :(

Where was it from? Can you not get into contact with them and explain that it wasn't protected well? Sorry that you've had trouble. :(

I've emailed them, hope they will respond. I've had one of their runs before and have recommended it to others, but it was second hand so had probably already been retreated when I got it.

Not sure what they'll be able to do though now, they won't take it back, I've already attached it to the hutch.

Here are a couple of snaps. It's just surface I think but if that's how it withstands a week of rain I doubt it will be in good shape come spring, if I don't get a few dry days when I'm not at work, to paint it.

817c60a933cd8d663e39d35dbb6fe381.jpg
f0780c56f7cd5d16593781e38df610fc.jpg

Here are a couple of snaps. It's just surface I think but if that's how it withstands a week of rain I doubt it will be in good shape come spring, if I don't get a few dry days when I'm not at work, to paint it.

817c60a933cd8d663e39d35dbb6fe381.jpg
f0780c56f7cd5d16593781e38df610fc.jpg

From the pic, it looks like ''raw'' wood and hasn't ever been treated properly with a water repellent. Maybe you could get it under cover and let the wood dry out to a degree and then rub down and treat properly? I don't think it's beyond repair.

From the pic, it looks like ''raw'' wood and hasn't ever been treated properly with a water repellent. Maybe you could get it under cover and let the wood dry out to a degree and then rub down and treat properly? I don't think it's beyond repair.

Thanks, I don't have much DIY know how so just trusted the website when they said it was treated.

I don't have any way to get it under cover, no garage or anything and nowhere to house the buns in the meantime, unless I shut them in the hutch, take it apart and paint in the living room... But it's a long time to be stuck in a hutch :(

It may be worth giving the place a call and seeing if they will rectify this for you.

If it said it had been pre-treated, I would disagree if it has gone like this after a week!!

If they play up you can mention the below....
They are bound under the sales of goods act 1979, which states that the item

All goods must be:
•as described
•of satisfactory quality and
•fit for purpose

The link below may help
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Agree with the others as it doesn't look like its been treated at all, where did you buy it from?
If it was Ebay? You can claim not as described and Ebay will sort it out for you.

Was it bought online or in person?

Hi there, sorry you're having trouble. This rains been an absolute pain hasn't it. The site looks good, I am hopeful they'll help rectify the problem for you. I was wondering if decking oil would be of any benefit at this point too.. Good luck

Just a thought, but if you do need to repaint it, maybe you could cover with it a waterproof tarpaulin while it dries ? Amazon do a great range in all sizes-good luck with email

Thanks for the ideas :) I have a very rare weekend off this weekend, they've forecast rain but it's supposed to be dry tomorrow and Friday, so I'm thinking to take it apart Friday afternoon and bring it in, then paint paint paint all day inside and get it dry and back out for them by Sunday eve.
If it's going to rain all weekend they shouldn't be too fussed about staying in the hutch.
Such a pain!!!

Watch out for gassing yourself: I wood-preserved (like decking oil maybe?) a secondhand thing last weekend and then put it in the garage as it was forecast horrible this week and now it STINKS in there! It's like varnishing or anything else. And the instructions say 'dry after 1-5 days'...!! Eek.

Thanks for the ideas :) I have a very rare weekend off this weekend, they've forecast rain but it's supposed to be dry tomorrow and Friday, so I'm thinking to take it apart Friday afternoon and bring it in, then paint paint paint all day inside and get it dry and back out for them by Sunday eve.
If it's going to rain all weekend they shouldn't be too fussed about staying in the hutch.
Such a pain!!!

Just remember that the wood will need to be ''dry'' before you put actual paint on it. Some of the water repellent preserves ie stains etc., can be used if the wood is only slightly damp. However, the wood would appear to be saturated with damp - hence the mildew or whatever it is in the pic and if that is the case, then you would need to allow it to dry out for more than a couple of days.
That's all the advice I can give you - hopefully you'll get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Just remember that the wood will need to be ''dry'' before you put actual paint on it. Some of the water repellent preserves ie stains etc., can be used if the wood is only slightly damp. However, the wood would appear to be saturated with damp - hence the mildew or whatever it is in the pic and if that is the case, then you would need to allow it to dry out for more than a couple of days.
That's all the advice I can give you - hopefully you'll get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Thanks very much for your advice! :)

Hi all, I had a response from them, the guy basically said he doesn't know why it might have gone mildew like this and has used the same batch for lots of other runs with no problems.
Apparently the timber is dipped in preservative.
He has offered to send me some more preservative so that I can apply another coat, which I guess is better than nothing.
I'm going to work out a way to securely reattach the small run so that Doris and Pepper can still have a bit of space, and i can scrub the new one and let it dry indoors for a couple of days before I paint it. Hopefully the preservative will arrive in time for my couple of days off, otherwise I'll have to go ahead and use what I have in the shed.

Hi all, I had a response from them, the guy basically said he doesn't know why it might have gone mildew like this and has used the same batch for lots of other runs with no problems.
Apparently the timber is dipped in preservative.
He has offered to send me some more preservative so that I can apply another coat, which I guess is better than nothing.
I'm going to work out a way to securely reattach the small run so that Doris and Pepper can still have a bit of space, and i can scrub the new one and let it dry indoors for a couple of days before I paint it. Hopefully the preservative will arrive in time for my couple of days off, otherwise I'll have to go ahead and use what I have in the shed.

Hi there. That's disappointing as it does seem that this one perhaps just wasn't treated at all. What a pain for you :-/

Its because the wood has been stored in a damp or wet place prior to being sent to you.
That's why there is mould forming.
Tell them you want another one made with good dry clean wood and treated correctly. If they want the other one back tell them to pay the postage.

Back