• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunny night time antics!

Hi all, after some more advice from anyone else with bonded bunnies that live indoors. Do you experience a lot of change in their activity in the middle of the night? For the past week my two have woke me up between 3am and 4am with all the noise they have been making. Throwing toys, chasing one another playing, binkying and all sorts. In a natural environment would they be more active at night? During the day all they do is sleep a lot with the odd munch, but then I'm not surprised after all the fun they've had the night before! I just wish I could join them for a nap in the day!

My understanding is that rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk.

Did they use to be quieter at night or have you not had them long? I guess it might be something to do with the fact it is getting darker now but I'm not sure if that would effect them or not.

I'm lucky with my two they mostly sleep at night, I've only seen them sleep in the day a handful of times.

Hiya. I have 2 bonded bunnies indoors and they've never woken me up in the night, but they are downstairs. That said when we just had Bunny she would dig at a piece of wood by the radiator and the vibrations through the pipes would wake me up. That was usually early morning. And my two week to sleep more in the day if they are inside. If they're out in the garden they don't seem to be able to relax quite as much, but Bunny just flops out and falls fast asleep in the dining room for most of the day.

I hope your 2 start behaving themselves soon!

We have not had them long - 5 weeks tomorrow. They came from a rescue where they were born when their mum was taken into the rescue pregnant. When they first came they were very quiet and did not come out much but this last week they seem to have really come out if themselves. I don't mind the noise if they are happy and playing. It might be more to do with the fact we are all on the same floor and I am a light sleeper. My other half is sleeping through it all! A lot of the noise I think is coming from them playing in the snuggle safe tunnels we bought them so we're to blame really lol. Hopefully they will settle down, I certainly don't want to stop them having fun though, just wish it was a bit quieter!:shock:

They might get into a routine more soon. My two are put away in an enclosure at night so I think they just know they can have more fun in the day. I do take some of their noisier toys away at night (they still have things in there though) but their chew mats go away because they sit on them and chew it and it slaps back down on the floor and I have downstairs neighbours to consider. They get them in the day.

Perhaps you could take the tunnel away at night, I have one the same and it is noisy! Mine have those bridge stick tunnel things now which they love and makes no noise!

ETA: Mine started to eat their green plastic tunnel which is why they only get supervised access to it now! :roll:

Last edited:
Rabbits are Crepuscular, which means they are most active at dawn and dusk.

Mine sleep all night but are early risers, I have to close my bedroom door so they can't get in and annoy me. They're always waiting right outside when I get up :love:

Haha! yes My mini lop is usually up at about 3am. He tears around for an hour then goes back to sleep! It is annoying, but he likes to sleep under my bed so I dont have the heart to lock him out! :lol:
Usually a pat on the bottom sends him out the door again to go and play!

Wild bunnies are, as mentioned, Crepuscular but indoor bunnies are less likely to follow that - probably a combination of being more active when their humans are and the artificial lighting.

A party at 3am isn't that uncommon :lol:

Wearing them out at more appropriate times may help, and also swapping out noisy toys over night. Rabbits do like tunnels for hiding though, so they may find it slighlt off putting to have them there sometimes and sometimes not. Do you know what specifically if making the noise? eg if they are banging them on the floor some rubber matting might solve it.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm not sure what us making so much noise but I will look at making some changes once I figure it out. They do love their tunnels so I really would want to take them away until I can find a suitable replacement. I have found someone on ebay who makes wooden shelters, dens and tunnels so I will look into this to get a wooden tunnel that is a bit heavier that they might not be able to move so easily, and also because I have just noticed that there are some teeth marks round the edge of the green plastic so I don't want them eating it and causing themselves harm.

Back