• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor housing project and fox proofing

I like both idea, the tunnel along the decking sounds very secure and you'd get a good view of them play. You could always have a covered section half way down to give them a bit of shelter mid way. When I had outdoor bunnies the run was right in front of the patio doors for easy watching - that's half the fun of having bunnies after all!

Thank you that's really helped! So decision made. Going to make secure tunnel down to their run which is going to be turned into aviary size with solid roof. Hutch could go in even if needed in spring.
Then we have a space next door ready for a big playhouse for my daughter :-D I love the idea that we'll all hang out together then, up near house and down the garden.

That ticks all the boxes and I can still add on fox proofing. Hurrah. Thanks for the advice everyone.

:-D

Forest in his new winter run

Hope this works, I'm not good, as yet with the photo upload thing.
Just a pic of my Forest in the winter run on concrete with makeshift decking ( doesn't look so fabulous, but they love it )
Our Ferni is camera shy, unfortunately, tricky to get, and when I do take a photo of her she looks like a terrified munchkin.
They were in a summer set on our decking...just moved them few days ago and they happy.
I've double wired the run cos my OH built it for me last year using chicken wire, not fox proof. That's 'plastic carpet protector' on the rainward side.
A total work in progress.
Still working on my photos....probably wont be done till the project is.

I know how you feel Louise...believe me! :D

Looks very snazzy to me, I bet the decking boards will be nice for sitting on when it gets colder as they'll warm up nicely :)

Wow that's fantastic! Love the table and log to jump up onto and the grass in the tray is inspired! :) great job, it's lovely to see them happy and enjoying their space isn't it :-D

That is a lovely space - loving all the different surfaces. Would have to steal some of your ideas!

(and thank you! I love the quote, even got the last part of it tattooed on my feet!)

Well we've been busy and I'm still changing my mind regularly, but I do know I wanted an aviary size. So was is the new run

Last edited:
And using the run's mesh roof panels we brought wood and bitumin roof panels to turn it into more like an aviary :) Still adding ship lap cladding at the back end and need to mesh roof frame under the roof panels. Started painting but it's hard to see in evening light. I think they are safer in there than by back door as a fox could easily get up onto decking to them, so hutch will go in too. Plan is still to add on tunnels for daytime exploring all round the garden. I like runaround mesh boxes and mesh tunnels so will have to ask Father Christmas for some ;)

Last edited:
Wow, I don't know how you did that, I'd never have guess that way a normal height run to start with if you hadn't show the pic. Brilliant job!

wow this is amazing!!! I am going to be creating a similar (although probably not half as pretty!!!) aviary in the coming weeks.... I'm scared now!!!!

Are you still going to have the access via a tunnel? would love to see pics of that once its all set up xxx

wow this is amazing!!! I am going to be creating a similar (although probably not half as pretty!!!) aviary in the coming weeks.... I'm scared now!!!!

Are you still going to have the access via a tunnel? would love to see pics of that once its all set up xxx

Hiya, I just typed up a long reply but then iPad went funny and I lost it, boo. Apologies if it appears twice. But thanks I'm really pleased with how it's turning out, our builder friend has been great doing all the tricky bits. :)

So after realising the hutch i brought isn't the stronger wood, I just don't feel ok with them being outside of the run in it, so hutch will go in at the back and I'll strengthen it too which will allow me to insulate. But I will then add on tunnels up to back door and down to grass run for supervised playtime :-D cannot wait to see them in and enjoying it all, bless their little furry hearts ;) Still need to make sure it's all as secure as possible as paranoid about foxes. I'm thinking about a bunny panic room they can hide in if one ever did get in (scarily I'm serious, haha)

Good luck with yours, would love to see pics and I'll post more as this progresses (how did I not discover this forum sooner! It's brilliant :)

Xx

Fab!

I Love It !!!!
So Gooood! Your inspiration is so great, can't say enough x
Still got my mum staying ...

I agree with the panic room idea..
I have mine in their area with the inner hutch secured except for a small entrance...am thinking of getting a webcam to watch from my bedroom...I had 1 few years ago rigged up in a blue tit's nesting box outside...was great! you could see and hear everything, if you wanted
Again, sounds crazy, but I'm considering it x

Last edited:
Hiya, I just typed up a long reply but then iPad went funny and I lost it, boo. Apologies if it appears twice. But thanks I'm really pleased with how it's turning out, our builder friend has been great doing all the tricky bits. :)

So after realising the hutch i brought isn't the stronger wood, I just don't feel ok with them being outside of the run in it, so hutch will go in at the back and I'll strengthen it too which will allow me to insulate. But I will then add on tunnels up to back door and down to grass run for supervised playtime :-D cannot wait to see them in and enjoying it all, bless their little furry hearts ;) Still need to make sure it's all as secure as possible as paranoid about foxes. I'm thinking about a bunny panic room they can hide in if one ever did get in (scarily I'm serious, haha)

Good luck with yours, would love to see pics and I'll post more as this progresses (how did I not discover this forum sooner! It's brilliant :)

Xx

Cool, sounds like a good plan :) Your place sounds a lot like mine as we back onto a field too, are you in Surrey? I know isn't this forum great! I haven't been on here for a couple of years since my bunnies passed away but back now that I am planning to adopt some more... hence the Wendy house project :) People are so knowledgeable and they helped me a lot when my buns were ill... xxx

I Love It !!!!
So Gooood! Your inspiration is so great, can't say enough x
Still got my mum staying ...

I agree with the panic room idea..
I have mine in their area with the inner hutch secured except for a small entrance...am thinking of getting a webcam to watch from my bedroom...I had 1 few years ago rigged up in a blue tit's nesting box outside...was great! you could see and hear everything, if you wanted
Again, sounds crazy, but I'm considering it x

I had same idea, :-D I want to make sure they're ok all the time! My friend rescued a pregnant (very scared) cat and set up a cat shed for them and added a web cam, we spent a LOT of time checking up on them :) x

Cool, sounds like a good plan :) Your place sounds a lot like mine as we back onto a field too, are you in Surrey? I know isn't this forum great! I haven't been on here for a couple of years since my bunnies passed away but back now that I am planning to adopt some more... hence the Wendy house project :) People are so knowledgeable and they helped me a lot when my buns were ill... xxx

No in Berkshire. I cannot wait to see the house project result and the new bunnies, eeeek, exciting! :) xx

Last edited:
Just a quick update now they're in. Have decided to rework their double hutch to create a 7ft hutch built into the cladded area and roof, with deep drawers underneath for their bits, which will allow me to fully insulate their entire hutch properly, let them be up high which they love for important watching over the garden ;) I attached the pipe and runaround door to make that their entry to hutch as well and they love it (not in pic yet as it was dark when I'd finished doing up the door;) Also will give them full 10ft by 7ft floor space for more things to play with. Bless them, so they are so sweet and very happy in their enclosure :-D

2wddgg0.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant! Loving the space and the pawprints in the floor :lol:

Could I be cheeky and ask how do you grow grass so well in that tray?

Haha, yes the naughty cat was keen to 'help' ;-) Although less keen on walking around in the shallow bath to wash the cement off!

It's just turf which wont last long at all. I've got an area of garden that needs building up height wise so over time the turf will be re-used and i'll just put new stuff in as & when. I'm thinking that a solid roof on concrete wasn't great for keeping anything green alive in there but they'll also have a tunnel onto the smaller run on the lawn so they'll get grass time that way too.
I was wondering if I can plant a bunny safe tree and have it go outside somehow, but might be a tad optimistic ;-)

Back