• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know when rabbits are bonded?

sueny

Warren Scout
I'm currently bonding my Pip with a rescue rabbit Alfie.

They have been together in a pen in an neutral area (the study) for 6 days now and they seem to be doing everything that they should be. A little bit of Alfie chasing Pip, he's been trying the mount her and her running away, lots of lying down/sleeping flat out next to each other, self grooming by each other, and a little bit of grooming but not much (mainly Pip grooming Alfie). No fights have broken out between the two of them.

My question is "how do I know when to try and put them in the hutch and run?"

Any advice appreciated.

I've never bonded bunnies but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you lost Daisy! I've only just caught up with that thread. Daisy and Pip were two of my favourite bunnies when I first joined RU. I hope everything goes ok with Pip and Alfie, it sounds like they are going well so far. Could we see a photo? :)

Mine were fine for a few weeks then Charlie Rabbit became killer bun from hell, and Cecile decided that Tabitha's ears needed a lacework effect. Had to separate them again and haven't tried re-bonding.

It sounds like everything is going well but they don't seem fully bonded yet. You will know when they are when they start spending most of their time together, snuggling, grooming and generally enjoying each others' company. You should also see them stopping chasing and humping. Some buns will continue to do this afterwards but nowhere near as much and with a little less enthusiasm. :) Once you get to this point, you can start to slowly increase their space.

Good luck!

It sounds like your bunnies are going to be fine, of course when they get more space the chasing should stop as one can escape the other more easily :D

Helloooo :wave:

I am soooooooo glad the bond is going well :) :love: if you want to try and move them to the hutch now I think you would be okay, if you can block off the run for a week or a few days just to see how they get on, then open that up to them if all is still going well. :thumb:

If they are fine in the hutch, then fine when you add the run in, then I am sure you can safely say they are a bonded couple :love:

Can't wait to see piccies

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The bonding seems to be going ok at the moment but my gut feeling is that it's too early for them to go into the hutch and run. However, we tried them together in the hallway this evening as a test. All appears ok, lots of exploring together, still a bit of chasing and humping but (touchwood) no fighting. Not much grooming happening though.

As requested, here are some photos...

So far, so good...will keep you all updated.

Forgot to put this one on...just about caught Alfie doing a binky in the hallway...a bit blurred but he was soooooooo quick!

Moved them to the hutch this afternoon. Blocked off the ramp to the downstairs and the runaround tunnel to the run. So far so good, just checked on them and they're flat out next to each other. This bonding business is so stressful.

My plan is to keep them in the upstairs for the next few days then thinking of opening the downstairs to them, followed by opening the runaround tunnel to the run in a week or so.

Any thoughts?

Back