• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How slowly to introduce grass

Holhol

Alpha Buck
Just wondering how slowly I should introduce grass into Fergies diet?
He's a 1.5yo house rabbit, and he's never eaten grass with me - he might have nibbled a bit as a baby but I'm not 100% on that :)

I've grown some really good cat and normal grass in a big tray for him so he can have a graze and a dig (planning on getting another few trays to rotate now I know it grows well!) and I've just started introducing him.
I've been cutting off a little bit each day, probably less than a quarter of a handful and giving him it with breakfast and he's had this sort of amount for about 4 days with all poos normal etc. so I'm planning on keeping it at this amount for another few days before I increase the amount :)

How long should I keep giving him limited amounts for? I can't wait for him to sit in the tray and nom away but definitely don't want any tummy problems! I was planning on restricting it for about a month (increasing amounts weekly) before I let him munch away but wondered if I should do it for longer (or shorter!)?
He's an absolute grass fiend now, he's like a proper rabbit haha :)

As he seems to be tolerating the amount you are giving him, I would increase to a handful and if he is ok with that then he should be fine to indulge himself. Just keep an eye on his output just in case :thumb:

Yes I agree, if you don't see any problems after 4 days then it's fine to gradually increase.

If you want to let him graze, just limit the time he has access to the tray and build up gradually that way instead :)

Back