• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this Split Cage a good idea?

BexPets

Warren Scout
I've had some trouble so far with bonding my 6 year old Lionlop buck (Rolo) to my 1 year old doe (Portia). When I have tried them on neutral territory he is extremely aggressive. He had a friend for 6 years and they were inseparable, but after losing her 6 months ago he sunk in despondence and has brightened up considerably since the doe has been put next to his run: he just doesn't react well when faced with her.

After bonding gerbils/hamsters in this way, I decided to put two layers of wire mesh in the middle of one of my hutches, and give each rabbit a half.

I have seen them lying side by side a few times, although there was initially aggression, Portia now frequently lies or sits near him while he sits back a bit and watches her.

Since I haven't heard of this done and google searches do not bring up anything for rabbit split cages, is there something I've overlooked? Is this a bad idea? I was planning on swapping them onto different sides but wanted to know if this would be wise before proceeding.

I am aware that neither side is really big enough; I was going to add on more runs but I thought if I gave them too much space they would not be as focused on one another and bonding. They have plenty of time out in long runs on the grass or inside.

This is Portia's half:

This is where they can see each other:

This is Rolo's half:

Any advice appreciated :wave:

When you put them together what exactly happened? The problem with your new set up is it doesn't give the bunnies a chance to sort out their hierarchy. Your male needs to chase Portia to d this. He might also hump her, pull some fur, stop her from getting to the food. This can last for a few days. Once this stage is over they can then start to bond with one another. Sometimes none of this happens and the 2 you are bonding just get along straightaway. This is my type of bonding :) but it really is the exception rather than the rule.

When we tried them together Rolo leapt at her, growled and bit her immediately. The next time (2 weeks later) the same happened. When we initially had the mesh between them he growled and scrabbled at the fence trying to get through. I don't want to risk any serious damage happening to her - a few years ago Rolo and one of my bucks escaped and both were bloodied (Rolo actually lost all of his external manparts that hadn't already been removed when neutered).

I have introduced rabbits before so would be okay if they were just chasing or humping, but he really does look like he's going in for the kill. He lunges and nips immediately without even sniffing her.

Should I try them again together then and let it take its course for a few minutes? Portia's due for spaying on the 2nd August, so I was going to let them sniff through the bars until then and then start face-to-face introductions after she had recovered.

If they are now largely accepting of each other with the wire down the middle, I would leave as it is until your female is spayed and recovered, and then try bonding.

Personally if I have a bunny who I know reacts immediately to another bun when bonding, I take a very hands on approach and it seems to have worked so far. In situations like this, it's often fear that causes it to happen, they take the approach that if they attack the other bunny first, then that bunny won't attack them. Given what you've said about this little guy's previous history I would say that is likely. So the key I have found is to introduce them in a very 'hands on' approach, in such a way that they aren't able to attack each other, they then quickly calm down and learn that they aren't about to be attacked by the other bunny so start to settle fairly quickly.

A few years back I bonded my boss' bunnies, they had tried to do it on neutral territory but the female would immediately launch and attack the male on first sight. What I did was got into a pen with them and basically held my hand over her shoulders whenever the other bun came near. Every time she went to go for him (you can sense them start to crouch, ears back etc) I would gently apply a little light pressure over her shoulders so she couldn't lunge towards him. I would let him approach her as long as he didn't look like he was going to attack, but I wouldn't let her face get near enough to him. Over a period of a couple of hours, she slowly relaxed and I was able to loosen my hold, and then I would let the near each other and only intervene if I saw the ears suddenly go back/tail up etc.

Another approach might be to start them off side by side in a top-opening pet carrier or box, again so you can keep your hands (gardening gloves ideal!) very close to stop any nipping, and so they can get used to each other's scents and presence without feeling too afraid of being attacked.

Good luck x

I think I will leave them until spaying, but should I swap them over so they can experience each side and mix scents ?

Thank you for the advice :wave: I'm a bit nervous about hands-on in case I get bitten, even though I wear garden gloves and a coat for introductions! But I will give it a go :) It's tricky finding a run or room that Rolo hasn't been in and considers 'neutral'!

I was wondering if he's being aggressive because of the heat at the moment - he is long-haired - or for some other reason?

I would like to do some bonding but I think it's too hot at the minute. Heat is stress + bonding is stress so we will just have to wait.

Do you think Rolo might be scared of the other bunny or is he being yery territorial. Just don't know. Tbh I don't see any point in swapping hutches etc as with their sense of smell they can smell each other very well.

If you are going to wait until Portia has been spayed then you are looking at another 4 or 5 weeks before you can reintroduce them. You won't have to wait 6 weeks as she isn't the problem - you are sure she is a girl?

I hope you manage to get them together. Good luck.

I see your point about the spaying, and unfortunately I am on a time limit. I'm going to uni in September and whilst my mum is more than capable at caring for the rabbits and will give them plenty of attention, she wouldn't be confident in continuing to bond them, nor would she have the second bunny-understanding person to assist in case things get messy. I might start some hands-on introductions soon, then..

I'm not really sure what the root of Rolo's behaviour is. When he was with his other partner he was gentle with her, but if another rabbit approached the bars of his run he became extremely territorial and aggressive. Now that you've said it, I can see that it could just be fear. Portia is a very gentle rabbit so hopefully he'll see that she just wants to be friends.

He does snatch food when I give it to him and run elsewhere to eat it, which was a necessity with his previous partner as she would eat much faster than him and he'd struggle to get a look-in.

The vet checked her gender when vaccinating her.

Thank you very much for your help and advice! :wave:

Having them separate but able to see each other can help with bonding, it's a good way to let them get over the 'see bunny - lunge at bunny' phase if that's where their heads are at. As they can safely see/smell each other without risking injury.

How neutral was your territory? It's quite unusual for a male to go for a female - they are usually pretty relaxed/exited to see a lady bun.

Neutering her would be good, but as he's the aggressor I don't know if it will make a massive difference. Now they've had a chance to see/smell trying again on neutral territory might give a different outcome. Holding him so he calms down rather than reacting instinctively to movement sounds like it might be a good idea too. Do watch yourself though, wear something to protect your skin in case he takes it out on you instead.

I'm going to try the hands-on technique today and let you know how it goes.

'Neutral' is a problem because they've both run about the house a lot, and Rolo has been in every run and part of the garden we have over the past 6 years. I'm thinking of putting newspaper down in a bedroom upstairs, as its the least familiar place. (Would outside be better?)

They were originally on the sofa, which is not somewhere he's been for many months.

I hope that his aggression doesn't mean he isn't ever going to accept a partner..

Thank you :)

Clothed in thick gardening gloves and jackets, we tried them in the bedroom and by holding his shoulders whenever they approached one another they eventually settled down; Rolo sat contentedly in his basket, Portia roamed the area. This continued for about 10 minutes at which point we decided to allow them face to face contact. Portia had spent a while with her nose resting against his side while I had my hand on his back, before.
However, as soon as they were allowed to see each other he jumped, yanked a large tuft of fur from between her eyes and leapt upon her, pushing her back and onto her side. We lifted him off and separated them.

Thoughts?

Or a bathroom - they tend to have wipe clean floors which is good for bonding. Just make sure the loo lid is down!

Do I spend the hour or two not letting them come into direct contact as I did today? Does time with the rabbits while they are on separate laps, a little way apart, count as bonding?

If Rolo acts aggressively do I take them back to their hutches immediately ?

Unfortunately our bathroom has a carpet :/

I tried them together again today and Rolo was petrified; shaking, trying to hide, etc. Whenever she approached him we would hold his shoulders, but she tried to nuzzle him and he bit her face (this happened on three occasions) causing them both to leap and him to spring at her. I held him on my lap and he wouldn't stop shaking violently and breathing hard for half an hour, at which point I returned him to his hutch. Ideas? I tried lying them side by side, head to tails, forcefully persuading them to lie peacefully but eventually he turned and bit her.

I may be guilty of giving up too soon but to me it doesn't sound like it will work. I have a boy like this, he is really scared of females so he stays on his own. He is close to other rabbits in the shed so he isn't totally alone. You could make your male bunny ill with the stress.

Hmm, okay. It seems a shame. Rolo was so well bonded and happy with his previous partner. But I do see your point.
Could I introduce Portia to my other bonded pair? The female is very old and has a cataract in one eye, though.

Back