• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pelletless diet

Holhol

Alpha Buck
Today I took Ferg to the vets for vaccs and check up and was talking to the (very good, really rabbit savvy) vet about diet.
At the moment bun gets 1 egg cup of pellets, 1 handful of veg and unlimited hay per day - vet said this is excellent but had I thought about cutting out pellets all together?

Fergs in perfect health (yay!), has good teeth and is a nice weight so it's not essential to reduce/cut out pellets but I am considering it! I've decided to cut him down to half an egg cup per day for a trial to see how he goes :) I feel mean taking them away all together though as he lovesssss his pellets (I know it would have to be done gradually)

Does anyone else not feed pellets? :) just wondering what peoples opinions on no pellets are! :)

Personally I feed mine SS pellets but my sister's two have a hay and veg only diet and they only ever have a glowing report at the vets. They're both around 4-5 years old and have never had dental issues or poorly tummies.

Mine have a very good diet: unlimited good quality hay, forage and green veg. I feed an eggcupful each a day and don't see any reason to stop their pellets (which they love). I know there is something you have to be careful about if you don't give pellets but, unfortunately, I can't remember what it is!

I am currently feeding a pelletless diet for my guinea pigs. There is an Oxbow supplement that is suitable for rabbits and piggies which they get, to make up for any nutrient shortfall.

My two were fed hay and forage (dandelions and clover mostly) in the summer. They did get a pellet or two as an occasional treat but that was it. I figured they wouldn't be needing them with all the fresh stuff in their diet.

My three have been on a hay, veg and forage diet for nearly 7 years (they're nearly 8 now). They've always had great teeth and been in fantastic health (until Pippin got his abscess, but that's probably not to do with his diet).

Pellets are really just convenience food for us, because it's easier than feeding a varied diet. And they're also good for putting weight on, which is why I've started feeding them to Pippin again. I think the important thing is to make sure they get a variety of green leafly things. Also don't stop feeding pellets until they're fully grown.

Mine have a very good diet: unlimited good quality hay, forage and green veg. I feed an eggcupful each a day and don't see any reason to stop their pellets (which they love). I know there is something you have to be careful about if you don't give pellets but, unfortunately, I can't remember what it is!

Are you thinking of vitamin D?

Is Ferg an indoor bunny? I think pellets contain vitamin D which indoor bunnies can be deficient in (outdoor bunnies get it from sunshine) but whether or not they can get enough from hay / forage / veg I don't know.

Back