• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help with what these plants are?

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
I am getting rabbits soon so I want to make sure the garden is safe. Does anyone know what these plants/weeds are? And whether they are harmful?

I have removed the one on the slabs but it will most likely be back!

The first is thistle family - definitely a weed, possibly edible. The smaller plant around it is goose grass (sticky weed) and rabbit edible.

Next pick could be raspberry or bramble - looks like it's getting berries in the next pic and you'll be able to ID when they ripen. They are great for bunnies if so.

Last picture looks like a pea, sweet peas (grown for flowers) aren't safe, edible peas are. Again it will be easier once it flowers.

Number 1 I'm fairly sure is prickly sow thistle (safe)
Number 2 looks a lot like bramble or raspberry - does it have thorns?
Number 3 is a whole mixture of stuff I wouldn't want to name any of it as you won't know what's what
Number 4 I have no idea

Thanks guys :)

So sweet pea definitely needs to come up? The second one has little thorns but they aren't majority jaggy, more sticky jaggy... if that makes sense lol.

Thanks guys :)

So sweet pea definitely needs to come up? The second one has little thorns but they aren't majority jaggy, more sticky jaggy... if that makes sense lol.

I have raspberry plants in the garden and the leaves are smooth but bramble leaves are a wee bit jaggy but not jaggy jaggy!!

I have raspberry plants in the garden and the leaves are smooth but bramble leaves are a wee bit jaggy but not jaggy jaggy!!

This one has smooth leaves but a jaggy stem with really small thorns... no idea what that is lol.

Sorry trying to post a picture. managed to join photobucket buts that's as far as I can get.

Haha this made me laugh :D Yeah brambles are more prickly than raspberries. Both are suitable for rabbits anyway though I wouldn't feed it until we can be certain it's not something else.

If they are cultivated plants the thorniness varies. I specifically bough both rapsberries and blackberries with no thorns :lol:

They look like raspberries but wait and see what the fruit comes out as - although you can get crosses with varies berries to confuse things more :lol:

Back