• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will the vinyl flooring harm them???

Bunnie

Warren Scout
I have had my hoppies for 7 months now, they are just over a year old and they live in the room under the stairs, the floor of the room is vinyl and now they suddenly decided to eat a foot by foot square of the vinyl flooring, they've never eaten it before, and I'm worried because the floor is in sort of jigsaw pieces so there are lots of edges held down by staples, I really hope the fluffier don't eat the staples and are planning on pulling them up, and later taking up the whole floor and putting down a layer of thin wood, (they are litter trained so the wood should be fine). But will the vinyl harm them I'm all ready to move them out right now if I have to and have a vets very near by if its really that bad, but baring in mind I am a teenager paying for by bunnies out of weekly pocket money and birthday savings, (but I do have insurance for both of them) so I don't feel so comfortable taking them to vets if its not neccesay.

Will the floor harm them???

It shouldn't do, they'll chew it small and it will pass through - keep an eye but unless you see any health issues I wouldn't personally rush for vets.

Popping something over the place they've started on should stop any more ingesting until you can change it. Paving slab, cardboard with something heavy on top, a big box filled with digging material - anything like that.

I found my two chewed the lino but didnt ingest it, they chewed and basically spat it out....what my worry was is that I had foam play matting under lino to insulate but they did eat that!!!!

fee x

Personally I would remove the vinyl. I am aware of a situation whereby a Rabbit became seriously ill with a fully obstructed GI tract as the result of eating vinyl. It is just not worth the risk in my opinion. If a Rabbit is a chewer then I will never use any form of floor covering other than hay.

It shouldn't harm them as they probably wouldn't ingest it, and would spit it out. However, if you notice excessive chewing and possibly eating, I would remove the flooring just to be on the safe side. Digestive problems can be very harmful to rabbits, and I personally don't think it's worth the risk.

:) x

Back