• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How easy is it to bond 2 male bunnies?

Holhol

Alpha Buck
My bun will be getting a friend at some point soon hopefully - I just wondered how easy it is to bond 2 males?
We've had 2 pairs of girls (1 pair we bonded which took all of an hour - they loved each other straight away! and the other were a pair of sisters) but I've never attempted to bond boys before.
Every time I see a rabbit I think would make a nice friend for my bun they are male; there was/is a gorgeous little bun in the p@h adoption area that I fell in love with, and another teeny partially sited mini lop that the lady I got my bun off is looking for a home for.

I did want to get him a girlfriend, but rescues near me seem to have miles more single boys than girls! Is is harder to bond 2 males? :)

If both are neutered I don't think it is anymore difficult than a boy girl couple. In fact I think it's actually easier :)

I have bonded several pairs of Bucks and to be honest they were the easiest bonds I have done. I think personalities as much as gender is the issue as long as both Rabbits are neutered.

It depends on the bunnies. And also on how long since neutering. I tried a quad bond when Mischa was still alive and he and Smudge (my other boy) got on really well once Smudge's hormones had died down. They just clicked and loved snuggling together. For my limited experience I've found boys easier to bond than girls.

Thanks for the advice - that's really interesting to know, I always assumed 2 boys would be more difficult to bond but its great to know that I could get a buck! :)
Going to look into getting him a rescue bun friend in the Summer - Ferg is an outgoing, friendly bun so hopefully won't be too hard to find him a little mate! :)

It depends on the rabbits, I had two males that very very easy to bond but they were both friendly boys who never showed aggression towards people or other rabbits, and they'd had regular contact since one of them was a baby. They were even fine when I added a female in, but then again I also had another male who ran straight up to Harley and bit him hard on his bits on their first meeting so boys can be pretty nasty to each other :shock: I think you can tell from letting them meet with mesh in between roughly how they're going to be, if through the mesh they're desperately trying to get to each other and bite each other then I don't think I'd even risk trying to bond them, but if they both seem comfortable after a few meetings I'd definitely give it a go :)

Back