• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Link & Zelda Need Little Help

idolstar

Young Bun
Hello,

Wondering if anyone could give me some good tips on bonding.
i started bonding link & zelda on Monday. Everything is going fine and i mean really fine
It's been 3 days and not one fight nip or a hump:D
both are licking each other and lay side by side and cuddling everything good
but no one has yet shown signs of wanting to be the boss
zelda [male]does run circles around link [female] and link does cry and run away
sometimes she does show aggression by doing that am going to bite you then doesn't but just runs off kind of thing

There both in territory that they know and i know that's wrong thing to do
but link is very scared rabbit when she not in places she knows

Link Zelda are being bonded in link pen as both seem really happy with the set up
but are never left on there own. link is all ways put back in her own pen at night

You are causing this to be drawn out im afraid and at this rate, they will never bond.

Because you are returning them back to their own territory every night, you are basically resetting everything each time.

You need to find neutral territory, place them both in a smallish area with nothing that belongs to either of them, just hay and water.

My opinion.

You are causing this to be drawn out im afraid and at this rate, they will never bond.

Because you are returning them back to their own territory every night, you are basically resetting everything each time.

You need to find neutral territory, place them both in a smallish area with nothing that belongs to either of them, just hay and water.

My opinion.

Hi Graham

I didn't know i was drawn it out. I been following rabbit bounding guide online that say
not to have them in the same cage over night :? So i thought i was doing right

There are 2 ways of bonding - dateing like you are doing and my prefered method which means you don't seperate unless absolutely necessary. Personally I think when you seperate them each time they meet again they have to establish the relationship all over again. This method can suit some buns really well, but it does mean the overall bonding takes longer. If you have time I would try to keep them together - this may mean supervising overnight at first if you aren't happy they wont fight, as the signs so far sound very positive and I think they may progress better this way. Maybe the weekend if you work weekdays?

PS absolutely love the names x

There are 2 ways of bonding - dateing like you are doing and my prefered method which means you don't seperate unless absolutely necessary. Personally I think when you seperate them each time they meet again they have to establish the relationship all over again. This method can suit some buns really well, but it does mean the overall bonding takes longer. If you have time I would try to keep them together - this may mean supervising overnight at first if you aren't happy they wont fight, as the signs so far sound very positive and I think they may progress better this way. Maybe the weekend if you work weekdays?

PS absolutely love the names x

I was thinking if i put them in there own pens for tonight and clean out zelda pen tomorrow with water/vinger
and get a new water dish/food dish would this make things a little better? As i have been letting link in zelda pen with him
for dating as i have no where else the rabbit have not been they get about a lot :lol:

Neutralise one pen with water/vinegar and keep them both in that - permanently if possible. Then once they are settled you can increase space if necessary by joining the pens or whatever you plan to do.

Neutralise one pen with water/vinegar and keep them both in that - permanently if possible. Then once they are settled you can increase space if necessary by joining the pens or whatever you plan to do.

thank you Amy, That sounds like a better plan then what am doing the now :)

But how comes no one is trying to be the boss?

You don't always have to have a boss. Sometimes they are happy to be equals. I've had several bondings go this way. Or sometimes who's the boss is through subtle things like who grooms who.

Your bonding sounds like it is going very well to me. Some pairs don't show who is the most dominant one, they are kind of equal, but deep down it is normally the male so no need to worry about that. What you have to do is put them where they will be living together and everything should be fine. You sound like you have 2 low-aggressive rabbits and as they have been together more or less for 3 days there shouldn't be any fighting at this stage. It is normal for the male to run round the female and for her to run away. Also, it is better to put the female in the male's cage rather than vice-versa.

Your bonding sounds like it is going very well to me. Some pairs don't show who is the most dominant one, they are kind of equal, but deep down it is normally the male so no need to worry about that. What you have to do is put them where they will be living together and everything should be fine. You sound like you have 2 low-aggressive rabbits and as they have been together more or less for 3 days there shouldn't be any fighting at this stage. It is normal for the male to run round the female and for her to run away. Also, it is better to put the female in the male's cage rather than vice-versa.

Both have never shown sings of aggressive only the odd time with link as she does get upset with link but never anything like fighting or biting. I do find both are very needy rabbits more so zelda :lol: it's my 1st time having rabbits that are low aggressive my last 2 lops where very aggressive to each other and easy upset. I have been letting link my female go in zelda cage and never vice-versa. If i open link door she just wonder right over to zelda door and waits until its open:lol:

Now am not so worried about who is boss i thought that was going to be the big thing
zelda did groom link 1st so am guess zelda the boss

Am going to clean zelda cage and get all new things
but not sure if i should just open the full cage up and cleaned it all
I built my own cages so zelda and link are side by side but if i take away chicken and wood keeping them apart
i could open it up to be a bigger cage for the 2 of them

But would a bigger cage hurt the bounding should i keep them in just one cage?

You could keep them in the same cage for a little while longer, say 2 or 3 days, just to ensure they are settling with one another. Or you could try them in the accommodation they will be living in as there is no aggression between them.

Back