• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Violet has lost her mate/bonding a new rabbit

alx008

Warren Scout
I had 2 very lovely bonded rabbits, sadly one has recently died, the vet was not sure what happened as it was very quick but she thought he might have had rabbit bloat :(
I am devastated, and so is Violet... She has been alone for a couple of weeks now.
Is it too soon to try and introduce her to a new mate? I have been in touch with a nice lady who is trying to re-home her male.
Both rabbits have had the op and they are opposite sex so that is the ideal bond, although I have not done it myself.
Apparently it's easier to bring a female to a male because they are not as territorial but hopefully Violet will accept him if it's done slowly and in neutral territory.
Just wondering whether she needs a bit more time or is it good to try and bond her sooner rather than later before she gets used to being alone...

Sorry about your bunny :(

It totally depends on the rabbit. Some will want a new friend nearly straight away, some might take a few weeks, others might never want to be re-bonded. I don't think rabbits can get used to being alone (of course there are exceptions), we took on Leo and he was 5 years old, not castrated etc, we had him done and everything then this year we adopted a girl for him, that didn't work out so we took her back to the rescue :( they were really nice about it though, we left it 2 weeks he went back and found man love with Kerbie :love: It's like they've been together forever.

What you need to consider is what would happen if the bond didn't work, could you house 2 single rabbits and potentially find them a friend each? If you go to a rescue they could perhaps try a few rabbits to find the perfect match, they bond for you and they have rescue back up so if the bond didn't work out then you can swap (can't think of a better word :oops:) whereas if it was a private rehome there is no backup. Just something to consider :)

Last edited:
Sorry Violet has lost her friend. If you bring the other rabbit home please don't take him into Violet's territory, but put them together in a neutral space and keep them together for as long as possible unless they definitely don't get on. Most rabbits will bond , there's just a few that don't. Come back for further help if you need it.

Thank you for your advice.
The last bonding was done for me by the RSPCA branch in Reading and they were brilliant, I though that if I had trouble I could take the rabbits there to be bonded?
They bonded Violet with the rabbit that passed away...
Violet's run is very large, I was thinking of putting a smaller one for Archie next to it so that they get used to each other over days or weeks even, then introduce them on some neutral territory.
I defo won't put any rabbit in with Violet as it's her patch!

Back